Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Help! transmission removal problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! transmission removal problem

I feel like a dipshit but I can't get the transmission to separate from the engine. I spent quite some time making sure I disconnected everything and removed all the bolts. I can get some separation (about 1/4") on the bottom but the top wants to stay together. It looks like the bellhousing is getting hung up on the top stud on the driver's side. I have the truck up on ramps up front and the rear tires on concrete. Should I jack the rear up so it sits level? I'm about to pull my hair out, this shouldn't be difficult.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

You must have missed a bolt or stud on the top. Is there a trans dipstick tube or vent tube still resting on one of the studs? If so you will need to move it aside and remove that stud.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Default hmmmm....

Im pretty sure I got them. there should be three studs on top right? Maybe I was tired and missed something. Could have sworn I got everything but that's usually when the obvious bites you in the *** LOL.
thanks for your help
Old 01-11-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well you suggested that it was getting hung on a stud but if memory serves me right all the studs have to be removed.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

I removed the nut off the stud which had some stuff bracketed on it. It looked as though the trans should slide off it. I'll take another look after I take my daughter to day care.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

If you have everything loose somtimes they can be a pain to get off those pins that line everything up. Take a big flathead or pry bar and try to get it seperated
Old 01-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

I just pulled mine and thought the same thing. There is a nut and bolt tdc of trans that holds the vent tube. Make sure you got it. Best way is let the tranny off the cross member and let it droop. Then take about a 4 ft extension and socket and run it straight up the top of the tranny from the tailshaft side...worked on my 4l65e
Old 01-11-2011, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Well, guess what? ................

I am officially a dipshit!

I guess the nuts I took off on top actually held some brackets and the protruding studs were still bolting the bellhousing in. I think it was too dark and I was too tired to see how obvious this was. the trans is out and the vette servo is in , nex the torque converter and shift kit.

Anyone have some advice on how to get the backets back on the studs?

Sorry for the stupid post and I appreciate everyone's insight.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey, **** happens and your thread may help the next guy.

Getting all that crap back on goes best with a case of beer, a little patience and a friend to hold the flashlight. Other then that I don't know any tricks.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a very long extension and reach from the back of the tranny. Bring the back of the tranny down as far as possible at the tailshaft. That seemed to work the best for me.

Quick Reply: Help! transmission removal problem