Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Help! transmission removal problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ran into the same problem today. I used the sticky from LS1tech for fbodies thinking it would be somewhat the same. I wish there was a sticky for the trucks.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawaiian_Built
Ran into the same problem today. I used the sticky from LS1tech for fbodies thinking it would be somewhat the same. I wish there was a sticky for the trucks.
looking back on it, it was actually not that bad. ?the problem I had was that I removed the nuts that hold the backets on top of the bellhousing. I didn't realize that the stud was still bolting the trans to the engine. I felt stupid yet relieved once i got it done hahaha. As everyone else mentioned, extensions, a deep socket and a wobble adapter will do the trick (plus beer!)
Old 06-09-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
Hey, **** happens and your thread may help the next guy.

Getting all that crap back on goes best with a case of beer, a little patience and a friend to hold the flashlight. Other then that I don't know any tricks.
It just did help the next guy. :thumbs:

I think I've done the same thing, I'll have to check in the morning.

Also, I got in an argument with my dad about this, he said that you have to unbolt the torque converter before pulling the transmission from the motor, (He's an old school car guy) I told him that's impossible and it all has to come out as one unit (Transmission, converter, flexplate.. someone want to clear this up for us?

Also he thinks that my 3k Circle-D stall is going to absolutely kill the driveablility of my truck... I guess he just really doesn't understand these newer vehicles...
Old 06-09-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah you need to unbolt the torque converter through the starter hole on the passenger side. Otherwise it will be messy.