Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

High speed driveshaft help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:00 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your aluminum one where di you get if from? i thought of one for my setup but im worried thta it wont handle the 5+k launches
Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me know what you find. I'm in the market...
Old 02-28-2007, 04:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried Denny's Driveshaft? I have a 3 1/2" steel one coming from him with 1350 yokes on each end. He's a little tough to talk to (I call him "The Shaft ****") after the one Seinfeld episode "The Soup ****", but he's very truthful, and helpful.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Quik
your aluminum one where di you get if from? i thought of one for my setup but im worried thta it wont handle the 5+k launches
Mine is a used Inland shaft 4" aluminum. I bought it used and had it shortened about 12". The person before me had some vib issues with it so it may have been bowed when I got it. It was balanced after I had it shortened though. May have been fatigued from bowing on that extended cab he had.

I spoke to Denny yesturday for about 10 mins or so and he was really helpful. He said I need a Carbon fiber shaft and he doesn't build them. He was basing that on 7000rpm. If I back it down to 6500 rpm max on the dyno then he may build me an aluminum shaft?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wkdivr
Have you tried Denny's Driveshaft? I have a 3 1/2" steel one coming from him with 1350 yokes on each end. He's a little tough to talk to (I call him "The Shaft ****") after the one Seinfeld episode "The Soup ****", but he's very truthful, and helpful.
Denny told me to not let anyone talk me into steel for my application.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
Denny told me to not let anyone talk me into steel for my application.
Its funny he would say something like that, In the NASCAR cars I worked on we ran steel 3.5" (IIRC might have been 4") .065 wall shafts about 60" in length and spun them race after race to 9k+ without any problems. And that's putting 750+hp though them.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get yours high speed balanced it should be fine.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Its funny he would say something like that, In the NASCAR cars I worked on we ran steel 3.5" (IIRC might have been 4") .065 wall shafts about 60" in length and spun them race after race to 9k+ without any problems. And that's putting 750+hp though them.
Well damn. That's all I have to say about that.

I do have my old steel shaft. I may just put it in and send my aluminum one off to be balanced.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wish I could help. I am looking also with no solution.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

fww, my vibration turned out to be a warped flexplate AND THEN my gears went out later (bad pinion bearing). that aluminum shaft I swapped with ya wasn't on for the gear failure. I had it balanced twice. The second time the shop said it didn't really need it but did it for me anyway cause i couldn't find the damn vibration and was determined it was the shaft. (hell i was so frustrated i may have balanced it 3 times)

also, after countless hours of reading threads after threads and driveshaft websites after websites...I have come to the conclusion when something breaks and we put something in as relacement (driveline talk here) alot of times we over look something else that may have broke. For me it was the pinion bearing was damaged. So when i lost my first shaft, my vibration afterwards was there due to that damn bearing, haunting me until the gear set finally gave out to the pinion wobbling.

My truck is vibrating again now, same style vibration except it is something totally different, a lock up clutch going out or bad tcc solenoid. Just putting that out there.

How much does it cost for just a balance? does the shop have a 200mph balance machine? find one of those to answer you question for sure if your shaft can take the rpm.

btw, i found ONE guy who told me "HOGWASH" on the steel not handling the rpm (long steel shaft) and as kbracing96 has mentioned...he was an old school stock car guy one of my friends knew.

Quick Reply: High speed driveshaft help