Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Hits rev limiter on 1-2 shift

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hits rev limiter on 1-2 shift

Hey Guys... Hopefully somebody can help me out here. I have a 2000 Silverado with a built 4L60E... Since day 1 with the new transmission it has hit the rev limiter on JUST the 1-2 shift at WOT shifting both automatically or manually... It shifts but only after hitting the rev limiter. The kicker here is... It will not hit the rev limiter if I nail it from roughly a 10mph roll... Any faster and it will and in all other situations it will (a faster roll, from a stand still, etc). I have a Nelson Performance tune... I have had them lower the shift MPH and the shift RPM. I have replaced TPS and VSS sensors... No change. The transmission shifts perfect in all part throttle situations and feels perfect when it does shift at WOT (from a 10mph roll). I can't figure out why it would hit the rev limiter in all WOT situations except from a 10mph roll. Any ideas on the cause of this? Thanks!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:18 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 785 Likes on 651 Posts

Is your tire size correct???

Have you checked your speedo calibration Vs. your actual speed on a GPS???
Old 01-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Is your tire size correct???

Have you checked your speedo calibration Vs. your actual speed on a GPS???
I have not checked that... However, The last retune I had done was to go from a 305/50/20 tire size to a 275/45... If for some reason they didn't do that wouldn't have that made the speedometer fast and cause an early shift?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 PM
formerly 2000blackcamaross (6-25-2013)

It sounds like you need to lower the commanded speed for the shift. If the truck is at the right RPM but not at the commanded speed it will "bang off" or hit the rev limiter. After it hits the limiter a time or two it reaches that speed and shifts gears if you stay in it. This mostly happens when your truck is pushing through the converter a little.

Hope this helps you some. If not I tried. lol
Old 01-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2000blackcamaross
It sounds like you need to lower the commanded speed for the shift. If the truck is at the right RPM but not at the commanded speed it will "bang off" or hit the rev limiter. After it hits the limiter a time or two it reaches that speed and shifts gears if you stay in it. This mostly happens when your truck is pushing through the converter a little.

Hope this helps you some. If not I tried. lol

That was my first thought as well... I had Nelson lower the shift mph by 5mph and also lowered the shift rpm. No luck
Old 01-27-2013, 08:51 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's either a tuning adjustment, or your transmission is slipping.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second that its in the tune. They may need to drop the MPH even more. Also make sure that they raised the correct rev limiter. Iirc, there is a rev limiter for a cable driven throttle body and an electric one.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
It's either a tuning adjustment, or your transmission is slipping.
I agree but 2 things throw me off... 1) It has done it since day 1 of installing the freshly built transmission... I don't suspect slippage unless its a band clearance issue 2) It doesn't hit the rev limiter if I go wot from a 10mph roll. Whats the difference between wot from a roll and wot any other way... shouldn't it hit the rev limiter at wot regardless of how wot was obtained (if slipping is the cause)?
Old 11-02-2020, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4l60e problems Hits rev limit won’t shift from 1-2 (HPTUNED)

07 Silverado 1500 z71 4.8 v8. Just got a brand new 4l60e installed. (Last one crapped out) on the last one I had HP tune installed and truck was running in tip top shape, shifting beautifully. So, Now, with the Brand new NOT re-built, New tranny with the same exact tune settings the truck will not shift with WOT 1-2 from a stop. BUT, if I am moving already and open throttle to the floor it will shift. At partial throttle the truck shifts beautifully. ONLY at WOT and from ONLY 1-2 do I experience this. Hits rev limit and no shift.. Had the tuner lower rpm and mph today but still, no luck. Any thoughts? Is it the NEW tranny? This transmission was “covered” in a warranty and Provided by the warranty company. Shop installed and did not say anything bad or good of the tranny, I was directed to come to this shop by the warranty company. Should the new tranny work exactly the same as the old one? As in, work on the same tune settings? Any thoughts and or advise is appreciate!
Old 11-02-2020, 09:31 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,334 Likes on 794 Posts

Is this with you using the shifter manually shifting from 1st to 2nd... or leaving the selector in drive and letting the computer do the shifting... or both?

Quick Reply: Hits rev limiter on 1-2 shift