Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Hits rev limiter on 1-2 shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a specific question I can ask the Tuner that might help you get an idea? I do remember that the old trans I had before it got replaced was set to change at 5600rpm leaving the 400 to complete the shift. I’m not sure what the mph was set to. He tried to lower it to 5200 to shift but did not work. That’s all I recall him saying as we were in the middle of it.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:28 PM
Teching In

If anyone is local to Southern California I’d be happy to give them a shot a fixing it if the mechanic does not find a problem with the Trans.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
Setting the MPH to zero on WOT is not the right way to go about it. Your tuner sounds like he doesn't know **** about trans tuning
A typical response from you. Always confrontational, always telling people that they are wrong without offering an explanation of why, and always telling someone they don't know anything. You have such a deep knowledge base, but why the anger?
Old 11-06-2020, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't know his tuner. No idea who tuned it or who built the trans.
Not confronting anyone...just letting him know that whatever is being done...is wrong.
Take that for whatever you want to.

As for a why...the GM shift strategy looks simple when playing with the tables but the background activity is quite complex.
To boil it down...you need the "normal" shift table mph to match the WOT shift table mph. If you do not, you get discrepancies and all kinds of headaches.
Also...setting the MPH to 0 and waiting for the rpm to trigger the shift is not the right way to do it.
There are free softwares that can get you very very close on a base shift table and then you can fine tune from there. I would assume any tuner that charges people money for their service would be able to handle that.
You want the mph and rpm to be closely related. If at 6500 rpm you're doing 42 mph. Then thats what your table should represent. If you're at 6500 and the shift table is set to 25 mph. That isn't going to have the desired result.

Plain and simple the 1-2 shift is easy.
The band applies.
That's it.

Your accumulator setup isn't as critical as people think. Usually they over spring or over shim the accumulator and cause unnecessarily hard shifts for no reason.
The servo type and clearance matter but are also both quite simple.
Then, like anything else. Make sure the shift valve moves...and make sure you don't have a massive circuit leak...and it'll be fine.

If you have issues with the 1-2 shift...it's likely tune, band clearance, or trans build/assembly issue like a leak, cut seal, wide band with concave drum, etc etc
The following users liked this post:
Chevysil1500 (11-06-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 08:56 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,333 Likes on 793 Posts

Not confronting anyone...just letting him know that whatever is being done...is wrong.

As for a why...the GM shift strategy looks simple when playing with the tables but the background activity is quite complex.
To boil it down...you need the "normal" shift table mph to match the WOT shift table mph. If you do not, you get discrepancies and all kinds of headaches.
Also...setting the MPH to 0 and waiting for the rpm to trigger the shift is not the right way to do it.
There are free softwares that can get you very very close on a base shift table and then you can fine tune from there. I would assume any tuner that charges people money for their service would be able to handle that.
You want the mph and rpm to be closely related. If at 6500 rpm you're doing 42 mph. Then thats what your table should represent. If you're at 6500 and the shift table is set to 25 mph. That isn't going to have the desired result.

The band applies.
That's it.

Your accumulator setup isn't as critical as people think. Usually they over spring or over shim the accumulator and cause unnecessarily hard shifts for no reason.
Then, like anything else. Make sure the shift valve moves...and make sure you don't have a massive circuit leak...and it'll be fine.

If you have issues with the 1-2 shift...it's likely tune, band clearance, or trans build/assembly issue like a leak, cut seal, wide band with concave drum, etc etc
I recommended zero MPH in the tune for diagnosis only. This takes the MPH out of the equation... when you do that and still have issues it points more toward the build than the tune. I use the "bluecat" software with great success tuning my shift schedule tables. I do have the MPH maxed out in the "D1 Urban" table to keep the transmission from shifting prematurely out of manual selected first gear. I may set it back as I've banged off the 7000 rev limiter more than once lol.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:30 PM
Teching In

The band applies.
That's it.

Thank you for the Response @MaroonMonsterLS1 , First and foremost, wish you could tune my truck next time..
Second, I took the Truck back to the dealer where I got the trans installed and they called me today. They notified that this transmission which was supplied by my warranty company and installed by the dealer is a “faulty” transmission. Said the were able to “run the trans and “data log” And can see that the problem is in the Trans. ( I asked but they did not tell me an exact problem) They state’s that this is not the first time this particular company supplied parts for their customer and it turned out to be faulty. Now, once again, I am waiting to hear from the warranty company on what they decide to do. Have to wait for the adjuster to review the claim and make the call..
thank you for sharing those tips on the trans tune. When I get a tune again I will definitely have a little more knowledge to come with so I know what exactly the Tuner is doing. If and when I hear more on what the problem is I will post here in case someone else has the same problem in the future.
Thanks to everyone thus far that has responded to this thread! I have much respect for the wealth of knowledge each member brings to the table!
Respectfully,
ZK
Old 11-08-2020, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Small twist to the tranny situation. Shop is waiting to hear from Warranty company for solution. I have to get to work so so picked up the truck for now since it will shift normal as long as I don’t gun it. Drove the truck to work than on the way home I decided to test it out. Hit WOT from a complete stop and Boom, changed gear. At this point the trans temp was 104f. Came to another stop and once again it worked. Felt great, shifting from 1-2 at 45mph, with about 5500rpm. than, the Trans started heating more, hopped on the freeway to get home, tried again after exiting freeway than It would not shift, at this point the Trans was 168f.
Again, I’m not sure exactly what the issue is as the trans has not been opened up yet but felt this was worth noting to add to the ultimate diagnosis.