Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Hmm.. Howling/Rumble noise at 90mph w/ 4.10s?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am very disappointed in you Robbie. an officer speeding in his truck...

haha. does it just make a noise or is there vibration as well?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pinion preload? My burban makes a howling noise at around 70 but thats due to heavy towing for about 50k miles of it's life
Old 08-21-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mustang howls loud at high speeds. It has 4:10s in it, they have been in there a while so the noise doesnt bother me anymore.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Question.. didn't you wait at least 500mi for a little break in period? And I'd say it's the drive shaft. I had the same thing. I bought from Belltech Drive shaft spacer kit to help steady the shake.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lady3bglover
Question.. didn't you wait at least 500mi for a little break in period? And I'd say it's the drive shaft. I had the same thing. I bought from Belltech Drive shaft spacer kit to help steady the shake.
more like 350 miles or so before i raised the mph up over 45.

I don't have a 2pc driveshaft, therefore there is nothing to space. The part you are referring to is designed for 2-piece driveshafts.

I am thinking its the pinion angle as well. Gotta get her over to the shop and have it checked out!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Default roaring

i had the same exact problem with my truck and it was the driveshaft.i have the gm 4.10 gears also changned form 3.23s.i blew the driveshaft in half at about 87ish,scared the gell out of me and it was right after i installed the gears because before it never did that.i am going to a 2 piece driveshaft soon.a few of my friends with dropped crew cabs had already changed thiers out and it dont do it no more.from what they are saying is to use a driveshaft from a extended cab truck.you just have to weld in the support in the center.the one piece is weak and very thin alluminum and is packed with foam inside.i still have it saved for people who dont believe me,but yeah the driveshaft is the problem.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
more like 350 miles or so before i raised the mph up over 45.

I don't have a 2pc driveshaft, therefore there is nothing to space. The part you are referring to is designed for 2-piece driveshafts.

I am thinking its the pinion angle as well. Gotta get her over to the shop and have it checked out!
Hmm, so you changed your driveshaft from two to one piece? And the "whining" that I've heard was my rear gearing. Don't forget to check the gear fluid.

Originally Posted by 06blackedout
i had the same exact problem with my truck and it was the driveshaft.i have the gm 4.10 gears also changned form 3.23s.i blew the driveshaft in half at about 87ish,scared the gell out of me and it was right after i installed the gears because before it never did that.i am going to a 2 piece driveshaft soon.a few of my friends with dropped crew cabs had already changed thiers out and it dont do it no more.from what they are saying is to use a driveshaft from a extended cab truck.you just have to weld in the support in the center.the one piece is weak and very thin alluminum and is packed with foam inside.i still have it saved for people who dont believe me,but yeah the driveshaft is the problem.
That kit made a world of good, you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 06blackedout
same here. mine went at about 98 mph and popped the rear of the truck off the ground about a foot or so. and i only have drop shackles. luckily i only had it for 6 months and it was still under warranty. the dealership had it for 3 weeks looking for a reason to blame me for it. they fixed it on gm's dime and it still vibrates and creates a lot of noise right at 95 mph. im too afraid to try and push it past that. and i still have the stock 3.73(i think).
Originally Posted by lady3bglover
Hmm, so you changed your driveshaft from two to one piece?

crew cabs only come w/ a one piece drive shaft.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

this was an old post, but my 05 crew cab makes that growl/vibrate at 90-100 with the 4.10's i had and now the 4.56s, 3.73s it was fine. i have taken well to 130mph, just at the 90-100 its there then smooths right out. what kind of built driveshaft should i look for , or is going to the 2 piece a better option. thanks
Old 06-13-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

a lil update. The guy who bought my truck took the 4.10s out and put the stock 3.23s back in with the true trac and the noise went away. Looks like the 4.10s were bad.

Quick Reply: Hmm.. Howling/Rumble noise at 90mph w/ 4.10s?