Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Holy Crap!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy Crap!!!!!!

Ok so I'm still at it guys!!! The 4l80e WILL NOT BUDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know this because my buddy and I decided that we don't care what happens to my 60E anymore!!! So we decided to hook up a couple straps to the end of it, then the other end of it to his FORD F350 POWERSTROKE DEISEL!!!!!!!!!! After breaking a couple straps, we figured that the 60 likes being attached to the block!! So....how hard is it to remove the block with the tranny attached, while the truck is not on jack stands!!!??? I have none to raise it higher so this will be sitting on tires!!!! Thanks fellas.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:06 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Blackerado
Ok so I'm still at it guys!!! The 4l80e WILL NOT BUDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know this because my buddy and I decided that we don't care what happens to my 60E anymore!!! So we decided to hook up a couple straps to the end of it, then the other end of it to his FORD F350 POWERSTROKE DEISEL!!!!!!!!!! After breaking a couple straps, we figured that the 60 likes being attached to the block!! So....how hard is it to remove the block with the tranny attached, while the truck is not on jack stands!!!??? I have none to raise it higher so this will be sitting on tires!!!! Thanks fellas.
It's fine, I had my front tires off and truck on jacks lowered almost to where it was sitting on the front LCA's, and I got it out with the transfer case still attached. If you pulled the transfer case already it will make it that much easier.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Excellent!! I'm just going to go that route then!! No sense in me trying to kil myself to get just the tranny out when I have to take out the motor as well anyway. Thanks for all your help.

One question I have for you though, is it alot easier to get to the motor mount on the passenger side after the AC is removed?? It looks a little crambed down there but it might just be the bulk of the compressor that makes it look that way!!??
Old 04-22-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you removed all the bolts? Sometimes they can be tough to break apart but damn, breaking tow straps. I would check again.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:45 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the compressor unbolted from the motor before I unbolted the motor from the frame. Then used about an 8" extension and my impact wrench and took the bolts right out, no problem.

The mount on the passenger side was actually easier than the one on the driver's side...although I have both of the plastic inner fenders out as well, that helps a lot for access to the stuff down low.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
Are you sure you removed all the bolts? Sometimes they can be tough to break apart but damn, breaking tow straps. I would check again.
Im absolutely positive!!! Unless there's a bolt somewhere that someone hasn't told me about!! I have pulled out 9 bolts total off the housing that is bolted to the block. 3 Torque converter bolts, every single connection that is electrical, and all the cooling lines.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Resident

Did you pull out the very top bolt? If you have try spraying WD40 in dowl holes, let it sit for 30 min, and tap the tranny bellhousing with hammer. This procedure might knock the corrosion loose.