Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

is this horse dead yet???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default is this horse dead yet???

I'm looking into converters for my new setup I'm putting together this year. I've seen first hand the gains by locking a converter at the track, but also seen the broken parts, and cooked converters from doing this time and time again. I've spoken with the "Big 3" around here as far as converters are concerned. Yank, Circle-D, and Precision Industries, and will probably consult more before I purchase. I'm fully prepared to drop $1K on a good converter, but I want to do it once with this setup... most should know my past, I'm tired of doing **** 3 or 4 times.

Dave @ Yank says he hasnt ever, doesnt now, and will never build a multi disk converter because its too hard on drivetrain parts and clutches for the gains you see. He says a properly setup and efficient converter should actually run BETTER unlocked vs locked, and the lockup only used for mpg reasons. This is how I've done things in the past, and always the way I approached it. Dave also claims that in one case one of his customers only lost 10hp on the dyno unlocked vs locked. So, his approach is to get it right for the setup and run it unlocked to stay in the power better. This also makes the converter lighter being a single disk, making it easier to spin up to RPM, better 60' etc etc

Chris @ Circle-D believes in locking it up under power for the gains and builds a converter to suit that need. Not doubting these converters in any way but I havent personally seen on in a setup long enough to test the "dare you to break it" slogan. Not saying it hasnt been done. But if it has, for how long? how much power? e/t's? weight? There's variables here than can be misleading. The same converter in the same trans behind the same power is going to act and last far differently in an Fbody, than it will in a truck. We all know this.

PI... well, they've been doing what theyre doing for a long time that I know of. The triple disk they offer has worked for some and failed miserably for others. I havent personally seen the 5 disk setup. I'm sure its a locking monster though. Most, if not all converter companies buy their generic billet front covers from PI if I'm not mistaken, so they must be doing something right.

This is NOT a thread for driveability, street manners etc... because I flat out, dont care. I am looking for probably a 4200+ stall speed and a 9.5" (245mm) converter, why would I get something like that and expect it to drive anything close to stock, or "get good gas mileage" are you kidding me? LOL I know better This is to 100% dicsuss the pros/cons of WOT lockup, the immediate affects, and the longterm affects and wear and tear on drivetrain parts. Ultimately to help me make the correct converter choice for my next setup. I'm a Yank fan no doubt. I've owned several... but I also know they're not the only ones who make good stuff.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

holy crap, by the time I got all that typed, it was longer than I expected hahaha
Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yank......DUH.... I feel like you talking to me LOL

They're on sale now too
Old 02-11-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

And if you you still have questions just take a look at my avatar.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

I'm definitely not one in a herd... If I'm a sheep, might as well paint my *** black!! I'm never one to do things the conventional way or take the path of least resistance.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Circle-D has my vote, but I'm a bit biased. I spent ~$700 on my converter, so I know how you feel spending that kind of money on one haha.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd go with a PT4400 and be done with it. Should be around $795 to your door if the discount is consistent with what I got from Dave.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

not really looking to see who gets who's "vote" either I really want to look harder at WOT lockup, why, why not, what if, etc...
Old 02-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id conseguir un convertidor puede encerrar en 3a. You dont want deslizamiento y un conversor desbloqueada es pura deslizamiento. Mirar a un bloqueo convertidor como un manual
Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

LMFAO, I'm with this guy ^^^

Quick Reply: is this horse dead yet???