Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

is this horse dead yet???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ENGLISH on this forum
Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I agree with Dave that if the converter is built right it can produce the best results unlocked, plus its so much better on your hard parts. FWIW the last shop I was at that deals with 1000hp supras and vipers told me they switched out there PI converters and were picking up 100hp.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

imo, if youre wanting what i think you want out of this setup i would go triple disc, cause i know you'll eventually wanna spray you drove my truck with a triple disc 4k stall you have first hand feel of how it is on the street, maybe this weekend you'll get lucky and drive it down the track if you like. i have shitloads of passes on this converter and yet to have an issue, right now i am even wanting to go to a 4600 ( pending the outcome this weekend ) i would personally have to side with circle-d and PI on the locking up, reason being i ran slower with my converter unlocked..
Old 02-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

What converter is John running? His setup runs noticeably better with the converter locked WOT, and looks like it is holding up to power pretty well.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:32 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

True story, I was on the phone with PI about to order a $1000 converter (literally had the credit card in my hand) and I saw luke (1989k1500) posted the exact one I was looking at for sale here for half the price. Needless to say I got luke's and it works perfect.

Its a low stall (2600) triple disc, and ive played with locking it at WOT and it does well even though im not pushing as much power as most of you my truck is pretty damn heavy. I havent seen any advantage to locking it personally...
Old 02-11-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by La Tu Papi
Id conseguir un convertidor puede encerrar en 3a. You dont want deslizamiento y un conversor desbloqueada es pura deslizamiento. Mirar a un bloqueo convertidor como un manual

i think what he is saying is get a converter that will lock up in third gear, you dont want a converter that will slip :

heres a google translation lol

Id get a converter can lock up in 3rd. You dont want a converter slip and pure slip is unlocked. Looking to block a manual converter
Old 02-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

well from my own experience, with my turbo setup, locking it would make that thing feel like a tractor! just kept pulling and pulling. sounded and initially felt like it was bogging but as soon as it felt the load, it made max boost and away you went. In an n/a setup where it isnt boost dependent for power, just basically where it is in the RPM band and your foot on the throttle I looked at it as being different. RPM = peak power (depending on setup dyno graph etc) and if you could keep it in that range better, you'd have more available power, better e/t's so on, so on...
Old 02-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Google translator FTW !!!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:39 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

My TC slip at WOT is only like 200rpm and with a 118.5 lsa cam locking it is really unnecessary.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
well from my own experience, with my turbo setup, locking it would make that thing feel like a tractor! just kept pulling and pulling. sounded and initially felt like it was bogging but as soon as it felt the load, it made max boost and away you went. In an n/a setup where it isnt boost dependent for power, just basically where it is in the RPM band and your foot on the throttle I looked at it as being different. RPM = peak power (depending on setup dyno graph etc) and if you could keep it in that range better, you'd have more available power, better e/t's so on, so on...
Plus you also lose the torque multiplication of the converter. Really the only advantage of locking N/A I can see is if you run out of RPMs at the end of the track, you can lock it up to avoid having to shift or change tire size.

Edit: Another reason to lock would be if the converter is inefficient, then I suppose you're losing power to the wheels. So basically it comes down to if it's a good, efficient converter or not.

Quick Reply: is this horse dead yet???