Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

is this horse dead yet???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by La Tu Papi
presionar uno porque inglés presionar dos porque español
lol. I understood that.

uno please.

I think you should also check with your transmission builder. From your info it sounds like the transmission is under just as much stress as the converter when you lock at WOT. Personally I'd go with a strong Circle D and lock it up but if it's going to break the trans then it doesn't really matter.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not saying it WILL, but it has a much larger chance of breaking it. It stresses the pump and input sprag a huge deal, but I guess if you look at it, so does making a slamming shift.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I'm not saying it WILL, but it has a much larger chance of breaking it. It stresses the pump and input sprag a huge deal, but I guess if you look at it, so does making a slamming shift.
If its going to break that part of the trans then that trans isnt for you. Find a trans that will take the abuse and never look back. Not doing things cause of a weak link is leaving numbers on the table that could be on the slips. If it comes down to worring about breaking then this isnt a sport for you
Old 02-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

true story ^^^ Its a Performabuilt L2 trans that will be going in the truck.

Parish broke 80E input shafts when he really got serious with his blue truck with FLT's transmissions if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not "worried" about breaking stuff, hell, I've had close to 20 transmissions in this thing, 5 motors, 6 converters, and 5 rearends... I just dont want something to be doomed from the get-go. like I said, I want to do it once and be done with it with this setup within reason at least.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:33 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
true story ^^^ Its a Performabuilt L2 trans that will be going in the truck.

Parish broke 80E input shafts when he really got serious with his blue truck with FLT's transmissions if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not "worried" about breaking stuff, hell, I've had close to 20 transmissions in this thing, 5 motors, 6 converters, and 5 rearends... I just dont want something to be doomed from the get-go. like I said, I want to do it once and be done with it with this setup within reason at least.

holy hell man
Old 02-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

yeah,there for a while I was on a roll
Old 02-12-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy **** 20 transmissions lol
Old 02-12-2010, 03:32 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I can't really give real world gains on my setup locked or unlocked cause I was working the fueling at the same time I started locking mine. But, the best pass I ever made it was locked in high gear. I've got a 9.5" triple from PI. I've locked it WOT on the last 10 passes that I've made with no problems. My reason for locking was that I was a bit over geared and I couldn't make it through the traps without it. I've swapped to a more friendly 4.10 gear so now I'll be able to test back to back locked/unlocked.

I will say this, tinkering with lock up points will really show some differences. Every truck is different and mine responded well every time I raised the lock up speed. On the pass were I went 126 mph, when that sucker locked, it started pulling like a ****. I've never felt my truck pull that hard in high gear.

Just my .02
Old 02-12-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have not e/t comparisons, but locking the converter on highway runs, my old truck pulled like a freight train. But the trans has got to be up to the task.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

like mentioned all converters will act differently in every vehicle........ im still running the old Fuddle converter its been a few years and this one is still alive, its also only a single disk that locks up @ 95mph.... it definately feels alot stronger once it locks up and it picked up 2mph at the time, i just cant recall if it picked up e/t? but if i was you and if those are the only choices that you have I would go with the triple disc just for the peace of mind, but i myself would definately go back to Fuddle/howard now and get me another one, i am firmly satisfied on how this converter acts with 4700lbs race weight..... by the way nice choice on staying with the 60e, i myself cant seem to convince my self on a 80e swap, ive seen a fair number of those go out aswell and it just doesnt justify the time or money into the swap unless you are making BIG hp, which i dont know what that number is, alot of people on this site still running the 60e and putting down 700+hp!

Quick Reply: is this horse dead yet???