Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Hotchkis rides like poop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it the rear that rides like **** or the front? Both?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Hotchkis TVS and I actually think that my ride quality improved or the stock ride height & stock shocks. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bradazz
I have the Hotchkis TVS and I actually think that my ride quality improved or the stock ride height & stock shocks. Just my 2 cents.
I hated how the stock suspension was so bouncy. The Hotchkis with Bilstein shocks, and 20's is really stiff and I feel evey bump, but I don't mind it.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like mine
Rides stiff but not uncomfortable
Really nice on the freeway on long trips
Old 07-09-2005, 01:57 AM
Staging Lane

The tvs is the ultimate off the shelf handling set-up for these trucks. The main goals were to control dive, squat, transition, turn-in, and overall wallowness of these overweight, front biased, high center of gravity bricks that we drive. A little harshness should be expected from the damping rates required to make these things g machines.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sport Side
Is it the rear that rides like **** or the front? Both?
Based on your post I did some driving around over various rail road tracks in town under all kinds of conditions. It is definitely the rear that is the one that is bruising my kidneys.

The problem lies in the bump stops. I have about and inch before I hit the bump stops if I sit on the tail gate (and I am a very big guy) I have little to no room before hitting bump stops.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
Based on your post I did some driving around over various rail road tracks in town under all kinds of conditions. It is definitely the rear that is the one that is bruising my kidneys.

The problem lies in the bump stops. I have about and inch before I hit the bump stops if I sit on the tail gate (and I am a very big guy) I have little to no room before hitting bump stops.
So, what could you do c-notch the frame?

Thanks for answering my question! I appreciate it.
I was concerned because I'm about to order a set of 2'' McGaughy's lowering springs for the front. I can handle a rough ride but, I like my kidneys.

Have you tried an adjustable shock? This works for the rear of mine but, I have a 4 link.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sport Side
This works for the rear of mine but, I have a 4 link.
Off topic but can you describe your four link setup? Are you bagged in the rear or running coil overs? This is one of the ideas I have floating in my head, but I have no idea how to select the right coil over for the rear.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tdrumm
Off topic but can you describe your four link setup? Are you bagged in the rear or running coil overs? This is one of the ideas I have floating in my head, but I have no idea how to select the right coil over for the rear.
I'm using the KP four-link w/ QA1 coil-overs. I'd probably use a 16'' shock and a 14'' coil. -300 lbs if you carry anything heavy. I'm using a 12'' x 12'' and it's a bit short.

Call up QA1. They were helpful. You can also check with GMCSKI, Sit 'n low, or 2toneblown. They have similar setups.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...50_20_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...50_19_full.jpg
Old 07-09-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

Sport Side, how does it ride, hook-up, etc? Also, about how much did you put into the rear setup? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Hotchkis rides like poop?