Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

How to 2/4 drop with nasty "Chevy lean"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Do all spindles lose turning radius?
I believe so. I know the McG's have 3 degrees engineereed out of the spindle so they will accomidate large width tires with 20" rims with out rubbing. Mine don't rub at all..........BUT......I can tell you there has GOT to be more radius taken out. My truck doesn't turn worth a crap anymore. I love the spindles but im going to have to remove some of the steering stops to get my turning radius back. I can't make a uturn on a 3 lane road (6 lanes total but im in the turning lane) I can not turn into any parking place with out making at least a 3 point to get into the center of the spot. Its really a pain in the *** but it looks great. Im confident that doing some mods to the steering stops will bring me back into normal turning radius. My tires WILL rub but I don't care about that.....they always have when im turning sharp.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant comment on the turning radius issue, but the spindles will give you a more pleasant (factory springs) ride and from what I seen and read, you will have less issues with front end alignment.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc00by
I believe so. I know the McG's have 3 degrees engineereed out of the spindle so they will accomidate large width tires with 20" rims with out rubbing. Mine don't rub at all..........BUT......I can tell you there has GOT to be more radius taken out. My truck doesn't turn worth a crap anymore. I love the spindles but im going to have to remove some of the steering stops to get my turning radius back. I can't make a uturn on a 3 lane road (6 lanes total but im in the turning lane) I can not turn into any parking place with out making at least a 3 point to get into the center of the spot. Its really a pain in the *** but it looks great. Im confident that doing some mods to the steering stops will bring me back into normal turning radius. My tires WILL rub but I don't care about that.....they always have when im turning sharp.
Thanks for the information! Unfortunately, losing turning radius is not an option for me. I have to make full lock turns everyday where I live, some into busy streets, can't be stopping in the street to reverse.

I'm leaning towards springs in the front, hopefully they will resist the lean more than the stockers, and a spring spacer on the front left. Still unsure about the rear. Will 2" drop leafs resist bottoming out better than the stock leafs?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You could also fix the lean by trimming the coil on the high side.

My ride has the lean and if shackles don't corrrect it, then i'm cutting the spring...
Old 02-04-2012, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run the inexpensive SpringTech 2" spindles on my truck and didn't notice any turning radius difference at all