Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

How to find...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to find...

How do I find out what size gear I have if I dont know what it is. DONT SAY GLOVE BOX. It is for a NEW axle I bought from a guy from another forum. I just want to make sure the front IFS axle is a 4.10. I done really remember how to do the count revolution thing. All / Any help would be great!
Old 08-22-2005, 11:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count the teeth on the ring gear and the teeth on the pinion gear and divide the biggest number(ring gear) by the smallest(pinion gear).
Old 08-23-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Since it is on the front axle and a real pain to count the teeth. I would try turning the pinion yoke and count how many turns it takes to turn the axle shafts 1 turn, or turn both axle shafts at the same time and count how many turns the pinion yoke makes.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:32 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GLOVE BOX

Sorry, had to say it.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:15 AM
Moderately Differentiated

hey guys...I am asking seriously...not trying to be stupid (just comes naturally) what exactly does the front differential gear ratio have to do with the axel? The differential is a seperate piece from the axel. The axels just bolt to the differential right?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

The differential is the connection between the drive shaft and the axles. The drive shaft turns the pinion gear which turns the ring gear which turns the axles and wheels. The drive shaft will have to turn 4.1 turns to turn the axle 1 complete turn if the axle ratio is 4.10:1.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Originally Posted by Mort
The differential is the connection between the drive shaft and the axles. The drive shaft turns the pinion gear which turns the ring gear which turns the axles and wheels. The drive shaft will have to turn 4.1 turns to turn the axle 1 complete turn if the axle ratio is 4.10:1.
right but he is saying he bought a new axel. You don't need to know what differential you have for your new axel. The axel just connects the ring gear to the wheels as you said. If he means he bought a differential rather than an axel...I understand then.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

by axle I think he means whole axle/housing/differential. If for some reason he had a diffrent gear ratio then the back, the wheels would be forced to turn at different speeds, either doin some funky burnouts or breaking hell on the entire drivetrain!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by duwem
by axle I think he means whole axle/housing/differential. If for some reason he had a diffrent gear ratio then the back, the wheels would be forced to turn at different speeds, either doin some funky burnouts or breaking hell on the entire drivetrain!
Right I bought a whole new front axle gears allready in it and evrything all I have to do to put it in is...... Unbolt CV's then put this one in and bolt CV's back up! Also right I know the rear is a 4.10 I COUNTED THE TEETH. However I dont want to split the case to count teeth on this new complete axle assymbley (sp) and as you know THEY HAVE TO BE THE SAME!!!

Thunder 550 your a funny funny guy!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

To find out what gears you have you can count the number of turns of the input shaft, where the driveshaft would hook up, to make the axle shaft turn one full turn. Mark the input shaft and axle stub with a crayon. You may have to lock one axle shaft with some vise grips or something or you may not, not sure? Then turn the input shaft and count the number of full and part turns it takes to rotate the axle stub one full turn. The number of times the input shaft turns will be the axle ratio of the differential. If it has 4.10:1 gears the input shaft will turn 4.1 rotations to one full turn of the axle stub.

Quick Reply: How to find...