Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

How hard to drop fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How hard to drop fuel tank?

Guys,
I'm installing a suspension drop. Looks like I need to drop the tank to get a couple bolts on a hanger snugged up.

Whats involved? Looks like undoing the filler neck. Is there enough slack in sending unit/fuel pump wiring and fuel lines or do I need to unhook them?
Old 01-20-2007, 06:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the 2wd truck I did, there was enough slack in the lines to set it on the ground, but you could put a jack under it and lower it enough to just unhook them then go all the way down. You just squeeze the tabs on the connectors for the fuel lines to remove them, and unplug the sender plug. Other than that, just undo the filler neck, and the two straps holding the tank in, and I believe there is a ground strap by the filler neck also.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rhino79
On the 2wd truck I did, there was enough slack in the lines to set it on the ground, but you could put a jack under it and lower it enough to just unhook them then go all the way down. You just squeeze the tabs on the connectors for the fuel lines to remove them, and unplug the sender plug. Other than that, just undo the filler neck, and the two straps holding the tank in, and I believe there is a ground strap by the filler neck also.
Hey thanks! I found your sticky just after posting the question. Doesn't sound too bad, especially considering the work I've done on in it the last few days.

Did just realize I think the dang thing is near full. I might just tighten what I can and drive some fuel out of it and then come back and finish the hanger bolts. Think I can get 4 of the 6 bolts tightened without dropping the tank.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:15 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Hey thanks! I found your sticky just after posting the question. Doesn't sound too bad, especially considering the work I've done on in it the last few days.

Did just realize I think the dang thing is near full. I might just tighten what I can and drive some fuel out of it and then come back and finish the hanger bolts. Think I can get 4 of the 6 bolts tightened without dropping the tank.
May be easier to pull the bead. I would loosen the passenger side and take the bolts out on the driver side and just raise the driver side of the bead and do what I need to do. Lower it back and tighten down. That fuel tank is a bitch to get back into place with the fuel sloshing around.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dock Rocker
May be easier to pull the bead. I would loosen the passenger side and take the bolts out on the driver side and just raise the driver side of the bead and do what I need to do. Lower it back and tighten down. That fuel tank is a bitch to get back into place with the fuel sloshing around.
The tank sits right next to the frame rail I would still have to move the tank even with the bed off to get to what I need to.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

When we lowered my friends truck using hangers, we pulled the bed and then dropped the tank. You don't have to pull the bed, but trust me, it makes it 10x easier to get the rivets out of the stock hangers. It only takes about 15 minutes and 2-3 guys to pull the bed.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BirchSSclone
When we lowered my friends truck using hangers, we pulled the bed and then dropped the tank. You don't have to pull the bed, but trust me, it makes it 10x easier to get the rivets out of the stock hangers. It only takes about 15 minutes and 2-3 guys to pull the bed.
It would have been easier pulling the bed but really not to bad with it on. No help and no room in the garage to pull the bed. I was able to grind all but 4 of the rivets. The last I drilled then a couple good smacks with a cold chisel and BFH and they popped right off. I'll wrap up the rear in the morning and get started on the front.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

What drop are you going with?
Old 01-21-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wkdivr
What drop are you going with?
It's a DJM 3/4 drop. Due to the rear shackles from the DJM kit not fitting it might wind up as a 4/5 drop. I used my old shackles I had on to level it and they might drop the rear another inch.

Last edited by KySilverado; 01-21-2007 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:01 AM
TOTM: June 2007

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i pulled the bed and dropped the tank on a tranny jack on ym hoist..but id say 80% of the people just do it with teh bed on

nice wheels by the way...

w/ the bed removed...truck did mint burnouts

Quick Reply: How hard to drop fuel tank?