Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

How hard to replace lower control arm???

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard to replace lower control arm???

I have a 03 2500 HD CCSB 4X4. I am in the process of rebuilding most of the front end. I am trying to press out the lower ball joints and can not get them out!! I rented the ball joint press and am literally bending/crushing the adapter cups that are in the kit. I have used this C press kit before and have replaced many ball joints over the years. I came in the house to take a brake and see what you guys think??

Im thinking about just pulling the control arms off and installing new ones. What do you think? I have never replaced a lower control arm with this torsion front suspension. Is this a big job?? How do you do it? or can you link me to a "how to" Thanks in advance!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

stupid question, but did you make sure there aren't any c-clips or snap rings still on the joint? got a torch? try getting them HOT, i know chevy uses an epoxy-like locking substance on their u-joints that makes them a bitch to do without getting them good and hot (not to mention stinky, use ventilation) and they might do the same with their ball joints. i've never done them on the newer chevy's so i dunno, just an idea. regardless, heat will make it alot easier to remove them anyway. also, kroil or P.B. or some other penetrating oil won't hurt...just some ideas
Old 06-26-2011, 12:25 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I removed my lower ball joints by bending the tabs in on the top portion of the ball joint. Used an impact on the ball joint press and slowly pressed them out.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. I got them out!!

I moved the jack stands out as close as I could to the ball joints. Then I got a mini sledge hammer and beat them out. It wasnt easy but they did come out. The funny thing is...that press would not get them out, the sleeves used/needed were bending. These were by far the worst ones I have ever taken out!!