Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

How low can i go and be safe??? 4/6????

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How low can i go and be safe??? 4/6????

I got a 2001 silverado 5.3 SCSB stepside. I want my truck to be slammed to the ground but i dont want to run into any problems as it is still a daily driver. I have stockies on it again since im selling the 22's that wouldnt clear. Plans are to get some 20x8 or 8.5 rims with whatever tires will look good and sit straight up and down with a 35-40 series sidewall. I am leaning toward a DJM 4/6 or maybe a 5/7 but i definitly want to use 20's. Is 4/6 or 5/7 ok on a daily driver or will i rub tires and scrape speed bumps all the time? What would be a good drop?
Old 01-29-2005, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

I personally wouldnt run a 4/6 on a daily driver, but thats only because i have a 2/4 on mine now and i have bottomed out on some things already. I just couldnt imagine driving on a daily basis with my truck being that low.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

where you live and what type of roads you drive, you want to consider. you do not want to go too low if you drive on bumpy roads full of potholes like i do.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

I love the look of both those drops. I have a 4/6 myself. Yes it hits most speed bumps you have to be very careful. And if you plan on performance upgrades traction becomes a major problem. I'm still not sure if its due to the loss of weight transfer or the flip of the axle onto the top of the spring. Most likey a combination of both. Then there is the issue of a limited tire selection when your looking for something wide for the back that still isn't to tall. Plan out carefully what you want to do with the truck before you drop it. And keep all the the old parts in case you want to go back up. And if you do plan on wider tires for the back get enough backspacing in the wheel to prevent rubbing. These are just some of my experances from a bad plan or just being plane stupid.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 4/6 on my daily driver an love it. The most important thing you have to remember is that you are driving a lowered truck. You will have to watch steep drives and large speedbumps. On a 4/6, running a 245/40/20 or a 275/35/20 will be your best two choices as far as tires and you shouldn't rub. Of coarse the main thing with rubbing is the backspacing on the wheels.

imo, I wouldn't do a 5/7 on a daily driver.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

ok. the roads i drive on every day around my area are all pretty new roads with no potholes or anything. I work about 35 mins from my house in baytown but that is all highway which would cause no problems also. Even the small area i drive through in baytown isnt bad as far as the roads are concerned. I have decided to do a 4/6 or after seeing a truck identicle to mine with a 4/6 and 20's yesterday and it was damn near on the ground but i think i can handle it since the roads arent bad over here. As far as backspacing, i know nothing about it. I am not sure what rims im going to get yet but they will be 20's no matter what.

How wide can i go with the rims and what is a good backspacing? I want to run a wide tire in the rear and the same or smaller in the front. Any rim size tire size suggestions??

Also, with the 4/6, do i have to worry about drive shaft angle or pinion shimming or any of that or is drop and go?

thanks for all the info so far guys!!!
Old 01-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Well if you have the money you can buy some billets and have them custom built to your specs. In the front you can run a 20x8.5 with 6" of BS and have a 275/45/20 tire and in the back you can run a 20x10 with 7.5" of back spacing and have a 295/45/20. However this will be expensive.

Here this gives you an idea of what it would look like: http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19274

Regarding the pinion angle, you just have to drop it and drive it to see if you need pinion shims. You will know if you need them after you drive it if you have some driveline vibrations.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had a 2/4 and 4/6 drop. The 4/6 is better by far. Mine being a 99, I can clear some speedbumps that a 01+ ECSB cannot clear with a 2/4 drop. The newer ones have a few crossmembers that the 99s didnt have.
You should be ok with the driveline. I believe only the EC has the carrier bearing between 2 drivelines. I have had a problem with mine since day one and I am starting to believe that I am gonna have to 4-link it to get rid of the vibration.
Do the 4/6! You wont regret it.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

I have 2" drop shackles on my truck right now and i havent noticed any driveline vibrations. I guess drop shackles dont make enough difference or maybe i just dont know what to look for. Is it something you can tell night and day difference or do you have to know what your looking for?

As of right now, i am looking at ordering me a set of Bonspeed Intense 6's in sizes 20x8.5 and 20x10 with the same backspacing as you mentioned. I love the way those fat tires look when they tuck underneath all clean like that!! I will probably go with a 35-40 series sidewall instead of 45 cause it makes the rims look bigger when the tires are shorter but probably 275's in the front and 295-305's in the rear. I am still looking at Intro's, Budnik's, Boyd's, and centerlines before deciding to make sure i get what i really want the first time. Do the bonspeeds come in chrome?? I know it will be a bit heavier than polished but they just clean up so damn good.

I am definitely going 4/6!!!!
Old 01-30-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
I have 2" drop shackles on my truck right now and i havent noticed any driveline vibrations. I guess drop shackles dont make enough difference or maybe i just dont know what to look for. Is it something you can tell night and day difference or do you have to know what your looking for?
Actually when I first put the shackles on mine I felt a little vibration when leaving a stoplight at full throttle. Nothing big though. You would notice if you had it. Mine does it the most in the higher rpms. I lost a driveline going down the freeway once too. (that was my stupid mistake though)

Quick Reply: How low can i go and be safe??? 4/6????