Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

How low can i go and be safe??? 4/6????

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well im running cutouts right under the cab so i hear the vibrations of the plastic inside the truck when i take off sometimes just cause its so deep and loud. Is it a different kind of vibration?
Old 01-30-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah I think you would feel it while accelerating. Its a vibration you feel, not like a rumble. You should be ok.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Veteran

ok good.

I have a buddy that said he would install my 4/6 with the notches and drop shocks for 800.00 bucks for everything. Is that a good price? I am kind of hesitant in letting him do it because i dont want anything to get messed up and im not sure how good he is at what he would be doing. I would rather pay a bit more and feel comfortable about a shop doing it than save a few bucks and run into problems. Is the drop really that hard to install or are there alot of things he could mess up if he doesnt know what hes doing? Anyone have any suggestions as far as what shops would be good to take it to to have it done as far as quality work and prices??? I want the drop to be done right. I know its easy to drop a truck by cutting stuff but i would rather pay alot more if its going to be the best parts and best quality work.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
ok good.

I have a buddy that said he would install my 4/6 with the notches and drop shocks for 800.00 bucks for everything. Is that a good price? I am kind of hesitant in letting him do it because i dont want anything to get messed up and im not sure how good he is at what he would be doing. I would rather pay a bit more and feel comfortable about a shop doing it than save a few bucks and run into problems. Is the drop really that hard to install or are there alot of things he could mess up if he doesnt know what hes doing? Anyone have any suggestions as far as what shops would be good to take it to to have it done as far as quality work and prices??? I want the drop to be done right. I know its easy to drop a truck by cutting stuff but i would rather pay alot more if its going to be the best parts and best quality work.
Do you already have a 4/6 kit or is that included in the price? I was quoted between $650 and $850 just to install my kit that I already had. I think the lowest I have seen a djm 4/6 kit was $395 so if that includes the kit that isn't bad. After seeing some of the install prices I just asked questions and read the instructions several times to get a good feel of what all was involved and decided to tackle it myself. To me it wasn't that hard, of coarse the high install prices encouraged me a little bit too.

I don't know if you paid attention to the post about the intro pentias, but he is selling them with tires and they are already set up for a drop/bags. They are good lookin wheels at a good price.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:34 AM
TECH Veteran

WOW!! I am really surprised it is that much just to install it. My buddies price does include the kit. 800 for everything and he would charge the same for the 5/7 but i think it would be too low. Did you do the notch yourself??

I did notice that he was selling the rims and i would buy them but i need to sell mine first to get the money and they will probably be gone pretty quick. I just dont have the cash available right at this second to drop on the rims. I was planning to use the money i sell mine for to buy my next set.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

yup, go with the 4/6. if u do the 2/4 ull always wish u did the 4/6, cuz at some angles the 2/4 just looks way too stocky.

dont do anything but belltech either, its the best quality. a guy i know worked for belltech and said he toured the other shops like djm and western chasis... and he said if u saw how that stuff was made u'd only go with belltech.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Veteran

ok cool. good thing i havent bought the kit yet. i was going to go with a djm kit but i will buy the belltech now. Can you buy the kit with drop shocks and all or is that seperate? How much does the belltech kit run? Anyone have any suggestions on where to buy it from??

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

4/6 is nothing on a daily driver. No harder than driving a car around. I scrape more in my stock firebird than I ever did with my 4/6 When I went to 20's I had 245/40/20 tires put on and it put me down lower, but still wasn't a problem. I eventually went to 4/8 on the same tires with little to no problems (occasional scrape leaving inclines). Now i'm bagged on my 20's and still have no problems. Driving low is easy if you just use common sense.

Also, you'll want a good pair of shocks. I've heard horror stories of bottoming out a lot when you have crappy shocks. I personally ran Doestch Tech shocks (spelling?) on my 4/6 from Macsspring.com and never bottomed out that I can remember. Now i'm running KYB's up front and whatever KP sent me out back with no issues.

Moral of this story? Go 4/6, anything less will leave you unsatisfied, especially since you are thinking about a 4/6 or even a 5/7 in the first place.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hyper
yup, go with the 4/6. if u do the 2/4 ull always wish u did the 4/6, cuz at some angles the 2/4 just looks way too stocky.

dont do anything but belltech either, its the best quality. a guy i know worked for belltech and said he toured the other shops like djm and western chasis... and he said if u saw how that stuff was made u'd only go with belltech.
Belltech sucks on the NBS. Their spindles increase turning radius and their springs ride like crap; i've never heard of someone overly happy with Belltech products on their NBS (their flip kit is nice, but their front stuff sucks) If you had an OBS truck i'd recommend belltech or DJM but not on a NBS, no way!

Go with DJM for a stock ride, their Calmax kit is awesome. I ran it for a year or so with absolutely no issues. McGuaghties also makes a very nice kit from what I understand. If you are dead set on spindles go with the McGuaghties, otherwise you'll want DJM for sure.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2KSierra
Belltech sucks on the NBS. Their spindles increase turning radius and their springs ride like crap; i've never heard of someone overly happy with Belltech products on their NBS (their flip kit is nice, but their front stuff sucks) If you had an OBS truck i'd recommend belltech or DJM but not on a NBS, no way!

Go with DJM for a stock ride, their Calmax kit is awesome. I ran it for a year or so with absolutely no issues. McGuaghties also makes a very nice kit from what I understand. If you are dead set on spindles go with the McGuaghties, otherwise you'll want DJM for sure.
I agree! I am running the djm 4/6 kit with no problems. Belltech does have a little better notch since the box the frame, but the djm holds up well. I like that djm uses control arms up front too because it allows for the closest to stock ride since you retain your stock springs. Like y2ksierra, I have also heard many good things about the McGaughties kits from others. btw, I am running 275/35/20 on my 4/6 which is about the same size as a 245/40/20, just a little wider.

Quick Reply: How low can i go and be safe??? 4/6????