Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

how much power are you guys running through your 6l90E

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 02:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's not forget torque management, gentlemen. They put the 4L60/65/70E in lots of truck applications, and the only reason it lives is because they cripple it with TM. In my TBSS I would get whiplash between shifts, it was so hobbled at high HP & TQ levels.

Just because the 6L80/90E is in a high-HP application, does not mean it is strong enough to handle the job. They could be governing it such that you never even get to feel the 550HP (or whatever it is) at the input.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6L90's arent weak transmissions, they look VERY stout to me, very similar to an allison
Old 11-27-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by built408
6L90's arent weak transmissions, they look VERY stout to me, very similar to an allison
Allisons aren't that strong till you build them, they will only take about 80 to 100 hp over stock till you burn up the C3 clutch pack. Better clutches and some valve body work and they are very strong though.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I emailed PCS to see where they stand with making the controller for them,

The trannys are cheap, I think cuz there is no market for them. We'll see, once there is way to control them.
Ok, SO this is the response I got from PCS

Kyle,
We are still working on the 6L80e controller. The problems we are running into will cause big problems on higher horsepower installations. Without torque management the transmission has serious problems shifting. We are working on some programming changes for the TCM in the transmission to correct this issue. At this time we don't have an estimated completion date.

Russell Turner
Powertrain Control Solutions LLC
Old 11-28-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

yep they are cheap, i would like to get my hands on a dosen of these things and just hold on to them
Old 11-28-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kyle,

We are still working on the 6L80e controller. The problems we are running into will cause big problems on higher horsepower installations. Without torque management the transmission has serious problems shifting. We are working on some programming changes for the TCM in the transmission to correct this issue. At this time we don't have an estimated completion date.

Russell Turner
Powertrain Control Solutions LLC
Like I said, anyone who knows the ins and outs of these transmissions will tell you that the basic design of the 6L80/90E transmissions is weak. This is more proof.

With a 4L80E, you can run zero TM and run high HP all day and night, with no problems. If you plan on making lots of power, a 4L80E is the way to go.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandog
Like I said, anyone who knows the ins and outs of these transmissions will tell you that the basic design of the 6L80/90E transmissions is weak. This is more proof.

With a 4L80E, you can run zero TM and run high HP all day and night, with no problems. If you plan on making lots of power, a 4L80E is the way to go.
Its the tuning that they are worried about burning these transmissions up, not the actual hard parts of it. Like I said, I have been in these trannies before, they look very stout. The design is not weak!
Old 11-28-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Allisons aren't that strong till you build them, they will only take about 80 to 100 hp over stock till you burn up the C3 clutch pack. Better clutches and some valve body work and they are very strong though.
Ive seen a bone stock allison with 150k on it put 500 rwhp down and a **** load of torque, its the cheap *** programmers that burn the trannies up.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by built408
Ive seen a bone stock allison with 150k on it put 500 rwhp down and a **** load of torque, its the cheap *** programmers that burn the trannies up.
Have you been on thedieselplace.com much? I have since my dad bought his 03 (145k miles now). I put a mild tune, (via EFILive) probable +100-120hp (Stock tranny tuning, nobody likes to mess with those) and it would slip 5th gear and go into limp mode every time you rolled onto it hard on the highway, I had to back it down (+80 or so) till he can get to a descent tranny shop to get a SC level IV kit and new converter put in it. From what I have read over there, is the factory didn't give the C3 pack enough clutch or line pressure. They will hold 500 if you don't run them into 4 or 5th gear with that much power, but what fun is that, lol.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes I have, If your going to bump up the power 120 horses don't you think you might want to tune the transmission too?? That makes sense to me. And yes I am aware of the C3 clutch problems. I have seen pressure as low as 90 psi when C3 is commanded on. That will defently burn it up. If your not sure on the tuning of the trans, then get the ATS co-pilot.

Quick Reply: how much power are you guys running through your 6l90E