Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Hydroboost Conversion, how to with pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks Iregret! I guess I'll try and get a rag up in there. Based on the location of the hose, I'm guessing it drains the entire reservoir when you pull the hose off the pump.

Also, I wanted to ask, which hoses did you use? I see in the above pic you are using an aftermarket line based on the blue screw.

I purchased the O'reiley's part # listed on page 8 which is incorrect. The hose listed as pump to booster is actually the booster to gearbox hose for a hummer H2. Coincidentally, my booster came from the junkyard with the booster to gearbox hose (off an escalade EXT). The hummer hose is shorter and has a different curvature on the end to the gearbox.

When I go to O'reiley's website and use a 2002 2500hd as the vehicle these are the part numbers:

Pump to booster: 92084
booster to gearbox: 92095
Old 12-02-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, got it finished up. All that's left to do is test drive. Was not a hard swap at all. The most time consuming step was trimming the firewall because I had to use my dremmel.

I did not pull the power steering pump and was able to remove the rear line without issue. The best thing I did was drain the PS reservoir with a turkey baster before hand. I had little to no mess when I pulled the lines.

EDIT: Just test drove. Holy Sh*t! Finally, my brakes actually feel like brakes. My pedal is now high and firm with no "mush." No odd noises or anything from my power steering pump. My next order is to change the brake fluid, maybe next weekend. Stuff looks nasty dark.

Total cost:
- $108.25 Hydrobooster, master cylinder (not used), low pressure return hose, high pressure booster to gearbox hose.
- $26.99 O'reiley's PS pump to booster hose
- $3.99 1 qt. power steering fluid (used the whole bottle)
- $2.29 2 metal hose clamps
- $7.99 Brass T (package came with 3, all they had)
---------
$ 149.51

Not bad at all. And I suppose I can sell the master cylinder that came with the HB, and my stock vacuum booster and pedal.

One of the best performance mods to date

Last edited by GMCtrk; 12-02-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it matter if my hydroboost system came off a gear box truck since mine is rack and pinion
Old 02-23-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by EasyE1986
Does it matter if my hydroboost system came off a gear box truck since mine is rack and pinion
Nope.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Didn't think it would matter but wanted to make sure before i took my truck apart
Old 11-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Since I have yet to find it, when you unplug the electronic booster that some trucks have how do you eliminate the information center message? I need to do this conversion.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Since I have yet to find it, when you unplug the electronic booster that some trucks have how do you eliminate the information center message? I need to do this conversion.
Nevermind, I found it. And I will link it here.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ke-out-418055/
Old 11-24-2013, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished my swap up also.... the rack and pinion make it a little tricky. I got a steal on the parts. $77 with the new pedal and brass "T" with hose clamps. Now I need to get the thing driving again!!
Old 06-01-2014, 01:42 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What if you keep getting bubbles? My hydroboost is stock, I just replaced the engine and I can't get rid of the damn bubbles. I checked all the fittings and I have no leaks. I had it bleed out but yesterday the engine died while I was doing cam tuning and I had to steer with no power and brake hard to stop in the parking spot. After that I fired it up and it started whining. It pushed fluid out of the lid pretty good when this happened. After I got home I popped open the cap and if pssshhhh like a side bottle. Did the bleed thing and it had a ton of air in it. It seems ok now but I'm not sure if it's going to do it again.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TURBHOE
What if you keep getting bubbles? My hydroboost is stock, I just replaced the engine and I can't get rid of the damn bubbles. I checked all the fittings and I have no leaks. I had it bleed out but yesterday the engine died while I was doing cam tuning and I had to steer with no power and brake hard to stop in the parking spot. After that I fired it up and it started whining. It pushed fluid out of the lid pretty good when this happened. After I got home I popped open the cap and if pssshhhh like a side bottle. Did the bleed thing and it had a ton of air in it. It seems ok now but I'm not sure if it's going to do it again.
Are the high pressure / low pressure return lines from the steering rack and the hydro boost plugged into the right places on PS? Mine are easy to install either way. Could have been a simple mix up.

Quick Reply: Hydroboost Conversion, how to with pics