Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Hydroboost Conversion, how to with pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 09:39 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure I don't have a good pic. The line coming off the brake booster is going to the port on the side of the res and the other line is going to the port that goes back to back side of the res.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:49 PM
12 Second Truck Club

So It turns out the return lines were swapped. I had to look at it a few times then it dawned in me. Also I read that if it's over filled it will whine like its low. Checked the fluid level and it was at the hot mark when it was cold. I didn't realize how much fluid difference there was from hot mark to cold mark. It's nice and quiet now, I had to get out like one or two bubbles and that was it. Where before it was bubbling ever turn.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did mine today with and swapped out everything including the power steering pump. Everything I installed was used. The pump is whining a lot and the effort to steer is not right also the brakes don't seem as easy as they should be. That being said the brakes still take less effort than with the vacuum booster.

Anyway at first I thought it was just that the pump I was using was shot but after reading TURBHOE I'm not sure. How are you supposed to bleed everything. I tried turning the tires back and forth with the tires off the ground before I started it with the new/old pump. No bubbles at came out. Then I started it and the reservoir went dry so I filled it up some more to the full line. After that the fluid level has not changed but like I said, it's real whiny and doesn't seem to be working right.

Any thoughts before I go and get a new pump?
Old 06-09-2014, 07:26 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Where is it full to? If you only ran it for a few minute and with tires off the ground it should be closer to the cold full mark than the hot. And make sure your lines are correct. Not sure which part fixed it but I don't have bubbles anymore. Before when I would drive it then stop and pull the dipstick it sounded like a soda bottle opening. That was due to tons of air, now it's quiet when I open it. Motor off of course.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

It's at full hot when hot and honestly out here in Phoenix this time year I don't know if its even possible to get a good cold reading.

I dicked around with it again after work for a while turning my wheels back and forth with the front on jacks again and it didn't do any good. Then I double checked my hoses and all looks good there too.

I've noticed several other things but without going into full detail, In think I'm just going to replace the pump this coming weekend. If that doesn't work then I'll get a remanufactured booster and give that a try. If that doesn't work then I going to repeatedly punch myself in the ******* until I can't hear the truck whining over my own whining.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:08 AM
12 Second Truck Club

If your going to do all that anyway, check the fluid first thing in the morning. If it's above the cold line use a turkey baster or something and pull some fluid out until it's at the cold mark. It's the cheapest thing to do. It was over 90* out when I did this and it worked. Sounds crazy that something so easy can fix the noise but it worked in mine. My brakes felt weird and it would whine real hard when I pressed the brakes.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

Ok I swapped the pump for a rebuilt one. This one is quiet at idle but it starts to whine if I turn the wheel at over 1000rpm. I think I'm going to try some Lucas power steering fluid. It's supposed to quiet **** down. What's the easiest way to drain as much fluid as possible out of the system?

Last edited by LPCWS6; 06-16-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone know how much pressure the high pressure line from the pump to the passengers side of the hydrobooster sees? 100psi, 1000psi?
Old 08-14-2014, 06:59 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I thought I read between 700-1000psi, but could be wrong
Old 08-14-2014, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay I'll get some teflon lined AN hose then for the swap. I have the stock likes but I don't have the same steering box that you do in this thread. Not sure if the V6 trucks came with different steering boxes or what but I'm not sure the stock lines will work for it.

Quick Reply: Hydroboost Conversion, how to with pics