Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Hydroboost Conversion, how to with pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm trying to get my hands on the parts to do my swap ASAP. For some reason I thought this swap was much more complicated but after reading it again it seems very straightforward.

My braking is downright aweful and frankly, unsafe when towing. The pedal is so damn spongy and the harder you push there's just no more braking power. So I'm very eager to get the hydroboost. From my reading, HB can create 2-3x more fluid pressure than a vacuum booster.

Thanks for the writeup Atomic.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought all my parts off ebay. Was 150 for the hydrobooster, PS pump and all lines and I got the pedal from GMpartsdirect
Old 11-12-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AndysC3
I bought all my parts off ebay. Was 150 for the hydrobooster, PS pump and all lines and I got the pedal from GMpartsdirect
Thats a good price for all that stuff.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the hydroboost swap on my 02 as well. seems like the rear disc trucks just have a soft pedal, probably something to do with how the rear brakes are proportioned.

Anyways I found the booster, all lines and ps pump on ebay, drilled one hole in the firewall to bolt it up, and modified my pedal instead of buying a new one.
I just pushed out the factory stud with a press, drilled a new hole up where the hb pedal should be, and welded in a gd 8 bolt to the new hole, then put on a locking nut to hold everything in place, works great if you have the time to make your own.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone know if this is possible with a truck with the adjustable pedals? Would I need the brake pedal that Atomic posted that had the motor attached to it instead? Part number?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Has anyone used an older GM hydroboost unit? I'm looking at one on ebay that's listed as fitting 1995-2002 vehicles and it appears to have a symmetric 4 bolt pattern for bolting to the firewall. Not that drilling the firewall is a big deal, but this would save a step.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

No that looks like it's for a van or obs truck, because the booster is all the way to the side of the mounting plate.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Staging Lane

no one has any ideas how to make this go away? could it be done with HP tuners?

Name:  8CC50612-D50A-49BE-8AF5-0EB9F7B774C4-4286-000001B1499FB13F.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  218.4 KB
Old 12-01-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Has anyone successfully removed the line from the back of the PS pump without removing it from the bracket?
Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Has anyone successfully removed the line from the back of the PS pump without removing it from the bracket?
I did. Here is the post from my build up thread.

Originally Posted by iregret

Next up, I moved on to the installation of the hydroboost. I didn't take a ton of pictures. Atomic did an excellent write up on that swap already.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...w-pics-441147/

My brake booster looked different than the one in Atomic's swap thread. I don't know if it's a earlier version or what, but I decided to use the larger one.

One thing though, the brake lines are closer on my factory brake booster, so it's a bit of a challenge to get them to reach.

I noticed while swapping the brake pedals, that you could see what you're doing easier if you remove the fuse panel door.

In Atomic's write up, he has you remove the power steering pump. I figured if you're going to the trouble of pulling the power steering pump, why wouldn't you just go ahead and install the proper pump? I wanted to see if I could get the hose off of the pump with it removing it. I did. I removed the skid plate/air dam plate thing and then used this to loosen the hose. Once it's loose, you can unscrew it by hand. Power steering fluid will go everywhere.

I modified the firewall rather than press the bolt out. I ended up having to widened the holes up a tiny bit so it would sit flush against the firewall.

Here's where I tied back into return line from the power steering pump. I would have rather used the correct power steering pump, but this will function the same.

All said and done. Pretty much looks factory. Well, except for the fact thy everything's clean. LOL!!

Quick Reply: Hydroboost Conversion, how to with pics