Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Hydroboost Conversion Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

couple more question, how much power steering and brake fluid should i pick up? any recommendations?

ended up getting lucky at the junk yard, got my hydroboost unit from an 04 Yukon with 70k miles on it. asked them when i purchased it yesterday if it came with a master cylinder by chance, and they said it didn't. well today i picked it up and it had a master cylinder attached, and i only payed 136 total
Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I ask why this is such a big deal for people to convert? I mean I have no issues with stopping my truck at all. Pedal feels fine IMO( recently did new slotted/dimpled rotors), but so has the other GM trucks I have driven with the norm brakes on them. I am sure that stainless lines would make it even better. Not sure what I am missing, but is converter that much better? Sorry for digging at such a long thread, I have never really paid mind to the post or the fact of ever wanting to do this..
Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Can I ask why this is such a big deal for people to convert? I mean I have no issues with stopping my truck at all. Pedal feels fine IMO( recently did new slotted/dimpled rotors), but so has the other GM trucks I have driven with the norm brakes on them. I am sure that stainless lines would make it even better. Not sure what I am missing, but is converter that much better? Sorry for digging at such a long thread, I have never really paid mind to the post or the fact of ever wanting to do this..
i digged the thread lol. the reason why im swapping is cause i drove a tahoe at work, and fell in love with the pedal feel. also when i do drive mine hard through mountains (holding gears and braking), the pedal feel isn't that consistent, from what i understand hydroboost will be consistent cause its not dependent on engine vacuum
Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm guessing you've never had a load behind your reg cab. But, the vacuum assist brakes suck IMO. If you've ever had the feeling where you're pressing harder and harder on the pedal and not slowing any faster....that's the vacuum assist brakes. Hydroboost will put you through the windshield. Much firmer pedal and less pedal travel needed to stop. If you're not having any issues with your brakes as is, no need to change it. But it never made any sense to me why the SUVs got hydroboost and the trucks (more likely to tow and haul) didn't. Probably a cost issue.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:04 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I can foot brake 800hp with a footbrake with stock calipers and rotors...just saying...

heres my writeup on the swap: https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...w-pics-441147/
Old 02-13-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5speedsilverado
couple more question, how much power steering and brake fluid should i pick up? any recommendations?

ended up getting lucky at the junk yard, got my hydroboost unit from an 04 Yukon with 70k miles on it. asked them when i purchased it yesterday if it came with a master cylinder by chance, and they said it didn't. well today i picked it up and it had a master cylinder attached, and i only payed 136 total
bump for the questions
Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

1 quart is all you need.

I used a turkey baster to empty out the PS reservoir so it didn't leak everywhere when I disconnected the line on the back. BTW, I did NOT pull the pump off the bracket. I was able to do everything with the pump in place.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Na never had had or towed in my truck, have had ruffly 5-700 in the bed, never felt a issue. I can jam the breaks and have the antilock work.. I dunno LOL. Seems to be more hype then anything imo, but again never been in a situation that needed it.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Na never had had or towed in my truck, have had ruffly 5-700 in the bed, never felt a issue. I can jam the breaks and have the antilock work.. I dunno LOL. Seems to be more hype then anything imo, but again never been in a situation that needed it.
It's not hype, it's the best performance mod for the money and it's not even close.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've ever towed trailers without brakes behind your halfton, you will realize why hydroboost is a good idea. The stopping power is greatly improved. I farm for a living, so we tow heavy trailers without brakes a lot, and have to rely only on the truck for stopping power, at least that's the reason I did the swap. Around town driving you really won't notice a difference.

Quick Reply: Hydroboost Conversion Install