Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Hydroboost Conversion Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 03:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys!

Great info! I have a 2005 crew cab Silverado with a bigger front disc brakes but drums in the back and I recently purchased a 2005 Escalade with hydroboost and rear disc brakes.

I'm currently pulling everything as we speak but I had a few questions.

The Escalade has the ABS pre-pump and there is a line coming off the master cylinder reservoir and this is the reason I don't want to use the Escalade's master cylinder, but with the Escalade having four wheel disc brakes and Hydro boost I thought it might be advantageous since I'm swapping over the rear brakes off of the Escalade onto my crew cab to use the proportioning valve from the Escalade.

any thoughts?

also, I was looking to see if there was any issue with using the self adjusting or whatever they call the pedals that move up for short people.?

Old 11-30-2022, 05:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 239 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by 54inches
Hey guys!

Great info! I have a 2005 crew cab Silverado with a bigger front disc brakes but drums in the back and I recently purchased a 2005 Escalade with hydroboost and rear disc brakes.

I'm currently pulling everything as we speak but I had a few questions.

The Escalade has the ABS pre-pump and there is a line coming off the master cylinder reservoir and this is the reason I don't want to use the Escalade's master cylinder, but with the Escalade having four wheel disc brakes and Hydro boost I thought it might be advantageous since I'm swapping over the rear brakes off of the Escalade onto my crew cab to use the proportioning valve from the Escalade.

any thoughts?

also, I was looking to see if there was any issue with using the self adjusting or whatever they call the pedals that move up for short people.?
Is the proportioning valve any different?. Someone else should chime in, but if anything I wouldn't use the escalade's. Wouldn't the eskie have traction and stability control that would be tied into the ABS?

I would think the easy thing to do here, is to swap over the hydroboost, keep your current master cylinder and just leave the lines connected. Pull and swap the disc brakes at the axle, and get a new pedal that isn't for the adjustable pedals. (Not sure if that one can be pulled from that pedal assembly). Might be easier to try to sell it to pay the $40 for a new pedal, or go pull one.
The following users liked this post:
54inches (01-09-2023)
Old 11-30-2022, 02:01 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

The master cylinders are different between rear Drum and rear Disc brake set ups.
I have no Idea how to wire the Auto pedals if you want to use them. I think the switch is on the door panel and it plugs into the Window switch/door lock controller but I don't know where the pedal side is wired in.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:16 PM
'12 AWD Platinum Escalade

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

The pedals plug into the dashboard harness. You will need a very qualified GM dealership to call GM to get them to add "adjustable pedals" and "memory" to your build list, then re-program your BCM. The switches are in the door and you will need the window / door control module from the driver's side from an Escalade. The actual controller that also has the memory features is in the driver's seat, so you will need Escalade seats... and floor harness. Then, that may lead to you needing the Airbag controller and then new airbag sensors for the rear doors and so on and so on:

My old Truck

I recommend just adding power, ground, and either a variable potentiometer, or a couple of momentary switches. Not sure which will adjust them properly.
Old 01-09-2023, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adriver
Is the proportioning valve any different?. Someone else should chime in, but if anything I wouldn't use the escalade's. Wouldn't the eskie have traction and stability control that would be tied into the ABS?

I would think the easy thing to do here, is to swap over the hydroboost, keep your current master cylinder and just leave the lines connected. Pull and swap the disc brakes at the axle, and get a new pedal that isn't for the adjustable pedals. (Not sure if that one can be pulled from that pedal assembly). Might be easier to try to sell it to pay the $40 for a new pedal, or go pull one.
I have heard that the PV is different and I would have guessed so either way, because of the disc/disc vs. disc/drum.
I have already pulled the rear brakes off the Escalade with the emergency cables and I am ordering parts where necessary.

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
The master cylinders are different between rear Drum and rear Disc brake set ups.
I have no Idea how to wire the Auto pedals if you want to use them. I think the switch is on the door panel and it plugs into the Window switch/door lock controller but I don't know where the pedal side is wired in.
Originally Posted by wardlws
The pedals plug into the dashboard harness. You will need a very qualified GM dealership to call GM to get them to add "adjustable pedals" and "memory" to your build list, then re-program your BCM. The switches are in the door and you will need the window / door control module from the driver's side from an Escalade. The actual controller that also has the memory features is in the driver's seat, so you will need Escalade seats... and floor harness. Then, that may lead to you needing the Airbag controller and then new airbag sensors for the rear doors and so on and so on:

My old Truck

I recommend just adding power, ground, and either a variable potentiometer, or a couple of momentary switches. Not sure which will adjust them properly.
I have seen reports that many have just used both and it does not matter. The reservoirs are very different, but that does not bother be.

I am not looking to wire in the auto pedal. I was asking about the brake arm itself. I think I found my answer when I disassembled everything.

My other questions, was the rubber line running off the front of the master cylinder reservoir that ran down to the ABS Pre-Pump. I found my answer though.

Thanks again!

Last edited by 54inches; 01-09-2023 at 12:55 AM.