Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Hydroboost Conversion Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stone150
ok a few questions. my truck has a sensor at the bottom of the resivour, is that still accounted for? also i noticed on my friends 03 truck he as a little canister that sits off the brake booster. is that the thing that was causing message problems?
Yes the hydroboost master cylinder will either have the sensor or you can slide yours into it.

Yes the vacuum assist pump "little canister that sits off the brake booster" is what will cause the message problem. I found a fix and posted it up.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Yes the hydroboost master cylinder will either have the sensor or you can slide yours into it.

Yes the vacuum assist pump "little canister that sits off the brake booster" is what will cause the message problem. I found a fix and posted it up.
well i don't have the canister, i just wanted to make shure that is what i thought was causing the problem
Old 09-15-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

does anyone have a pic of the hoses??
can I reuse my existing PS pump?? and modify the hoses?

I am looking at picking up the hydroboost and resivor...fabbing up the hoses and buying a new brake pedal? sound right?
Old 09-15-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OnyxSilveradoSS
does anyone have a pic of the hoses??
can I reuse my existing PS pump?? and modify the hoses?

I am looking at picking up the hydroboost and resivor...fabbing up the hoses and buying a new brake pedal? sound right?
yes, you "can" reuse the stock pump, but you will need to add another return port into the housing. you "can" simply "T" the lines and thereby only use one port, but this will increase back pressure on the system and could cause issues with the steering/brakes.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
yes, you "can" reuse the stock pump, but you will need to add another return port into the housing. you "can" simply "T" the lines and thereby only use one port, but this will increase back pressure on the system and could cause issues with the steering/brakes.
I've never heard that.
The return line is extremely low pressure so it should not be a problem. I have a 'T' in mine and if you look on the 'Hydratec' website it'll explain all the details on how it should be plumbed in. Only thing to make sure of is....the 'straight through' section of the 'T' goes between your return line. The 'T' barb is where the hydroboost return goes on.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by howard quick
I've never heard that.
The return line is extremely low pressure so it should not be a problem. I have a 'T' in mine and if you look on the 'Hydratec' website it'll explain all the details on how it should be plumbed in. Only thing to make sure of is....the 'straight through' section of the 'T' goes between your return line. The 'T' barb is where the hydroboost return goes on.
That's where I got my info as well. The thing they point out is that (and this is why they say make sure the straight through of the 'T' is from the brake booster) IF you manage to increase back pressure, you can actually cause the brakes to drag/hang.

I agree the 'T' will work....it is just MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE is to have each with it's own return port.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally agree with the above post. I would have gone for the extra PS pump reservoir fitting but parts for these trucks are so rare here....I didn't want to damage the PS pump pulley getting it off (I tried....but the pulley was so damned tight...looked like it was going to bend/break). The pump housing can be changed for one with the extra fitting so if anyone is looking to do this the 'correct' way....you don't need to change the whole pump. Find one at a junkyard with the extra fitting in the PS pump housing and swap your own pump into the housing.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:41 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by howard quick
Totally agree with the above post. I would have gone for the extra PS pump reservoir fitting but parts for these trucks are so rare here....I didn't want to damage the PS pump pulley getting it off (I tried....but the pulley was so damned tight...looked like it was going to bend/break). The pump housing can be changed for one with the extra fitting so if anyone is looking to do this the 'correct' way....you don't need to change the whole pump. Find one at a junkyard with the extra fitting in the PS pump housing and swap your own pump into the housing.
Were you using the correct power steering pulley puller? I have changed 4 or 5 pullies, a few with 100k + miles, and never had an issue with them being too tight.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

First of all...awesome write up and photos...

Starting to gather parts for my conversion. Just picked up a booster w/master cylinder for $65. Working on pump and pedal now... will buy hoses new for piece of mind. Any thoughts, questions or concerns?

-pb-
Old 10-25-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by EVILGMC
First of all...awesome write up and photos...

Starting to gather parts for my conversion. Just picked up a booster w/master cylinder for $65. Working on pump and pedal now... will buy hoses new for piece of mind. Any thoughts, questions or concerns?

-pb-
where did you get the parts?

Quick Reply: Hydroboost Conversion Install