Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

I found out on the Fwy that I don't have Reverse Lockout

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have reved up on some people when they speed up to not let you in on the freeway from the feeder onramp. Never thought I would accidentally do that. Drain the tranny fluid and check for shavings.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:09 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off glad you didn’t lose control!
On my GTO the lock-out is in the tune. At a certain mph there is a solenoid that activates or release or whatever the hell it does. Keeps you from going to reverse. My car is a 6 speed so maybe that’s different. I changed it from 3 mph to 8mph or something because by the time my speedo read 3mph I was already stopped and I found it REALLY annoying to have to come to a complete stop, in a manual, to go into reverse.

I'd have a look at your tune. But who knows maybe the solenoid is bad?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:34 AM
TECH Addict

Ive always wondered if this would completely shell the trans by doing such a thing. Apparently it wasnt too bad in your case, just a few flat spots on the tires,.. Hopefully
Old 04-26-2010, 03:43 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I'm lucky that I was doing burnouts about an hour before and my tires are now flat to begin with!!
Old 04-26-2010, 04:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i was 16 i was riding in my buddys f150. we were doing 60 on 441. he kept turning the radio down so i took the boom box we used at work and put the song on blast haha. he got mad and hit me so i hit the shift selector into what i thought was neutral just joking around.

couple split seconds later myself and the boom box were eating the dashboard LOL.

moral of the story.. if his 98 f-150's tranny lived through it your built 4l80e should
Old 04-26-2010, 04:49 AM
Blown 427 LSX

I have the video of it, but since it is at night it was hard to see... you can still make it out tho!

I will have vid in the next couple of days, we took a ton today, i have to edit some of it down - again, shame about the damn gopro!!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
....when I went to put it back into D from 2nd gear it slipped a few more notches into R! ....
When going up in gears, never pull on the handle - that part of the lockout is mechanical and is built into the gear selector itself. There maybe an electrical lockout in the tranny - I don't know.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:37 AM
TECH Addict

wow and i thought i was the only one to do that...lol
i was going home 2 weeks ago and noticed my shifter was in 3rd...i was doing 45. when i reached up to put it in drive i hit a lil bump and next thing i know the tires locked up and had a smoke screen..threw it in neutral but the motor had died...pulled over to the side of the road,got out to check drive train...cranked it up and checked all gears...drove home.that freaked me out for shure...lol
Old 04-26-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've done it a couple times myself Working on taking up some slop in the shifter cable after the 80e swap. There is no electronic block off for reverse. It's a mechanical stop. If things are adjusted properly you have to pull back on the handle a bit to get it into reverse from neutral. Just the same as you have to pull on it a bit to take it out of park.

No ill effects on mine.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usabodyguard
I have the video of it, but since it is at night it was hard to see... you can still make it out tho!

I will have vid in the next couple of days, we took a ton today, i have to edit some of it down - again, shame about the damn gopro!!
ya'll out just cruzing ??? . . . some event going on ?

waiting for vid !

Quick Reply: I found out on the Fwy that I don't have Reverse Lockout