Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

I found out on the Fwy that I don't have Reverse Lockout

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
when I went to put it back into D from 2nd gear it slipped a few more notches into R! ....
Don't you hate when you go to put it back in and it slips into the wrong spot
Old 04-26-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

may need a little adjusting from the 80 swap, I know mine does still.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Anybody know if the lock-out switch is a mechanical thing or something in the tune??

My tranny is an FLT Level-5 4L80e... I bought it for my last truck that was putting down 1000 chp. I threw it in this truck for the time being until I get more power through it...
I could be wrong, but this my thinkin. How can a switch be mechanical, it's electrical? Personally, I wouldn't have any faith in an electrical lockout on a trans. Mechanical is only way I'd feel 100% comfortable. Even if a tune has it.

Oh ya, everyone has 1000hp on the internet.

Parker, u know he was doin somethin stupid. That's the only way it happens.

Originally Posted by KySilverado
...There is no electronic block off for reverse. It's a mechanical stop. If things are adjusted properly you have to pull back on the handle a bit to get it into reverse from neutral. Just the same as you have to pull on it a bit to take it out of park. ...
I've done this from D into N, never Spoolin style. It was cause I was clownin, & thought I still had it in 3rd.
I believe what Roger's sayin. You have to hit brake to get it outta "P", so this is a similiar mechanical deal where pulling back handle gets it there.

On my Camaro, it has a shifter where u lift up "T" to get past, it's NHRA legal reverse lockout. Like this. Some use a ring, but u get idea.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-80690/?rtype=10

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-26-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

I saw mad max do it, his car was ok afterwards.........
Old 04-26-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

wow im surprised you didnt grenade a shaft or something
Old 04-26-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did the same thing in my 1997 chevy silverado that had a 10 inch lift on 38inch tires, the 4l60E shifted fine after but 3 months later the sunshell cracked and i ended up having to put a new trans in.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:15 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stevenc
wow im surprised you didnt grenade a shaft or something
Me too!!

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
may need a little adjusting from the 80 swap, I know mine does still.
Yeah, mine does too. Every so often it won't get into reverse or Drive or something and I just have to wiggle the shifter in that gear and it'll get into gear. It's a minute about but still enough that I should adjust it.

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Don't you hate when you go to put it back in and it slips into the wrong spot
Not really, I know she doesn't like it but I'm totally fine with it!

Originally Posted by KySilverado
I've done it a couple times myself Working on taking up some slop in the shifter cable after the 80e swap. There is no electronic block off for reverse. It's a mechanical stop. If things are adjusted properly you have to pull back on the handle a bit to get it into reverse from neutral. Just the same as you have to pull on it a bit to take it out of park.

No ill effects on mine.
Thanks Roger!! I was kinda hoping you would chime in! Kinda breathing alittle easier now.

Originally Posted by SnakeOiler
When going up in gears, never pull on the handle - that part of the lockout is mechanical and is built into the gear selector itself. There maybe an electrical lockout in the tranny - I don't know.
I don't recall if I pulled the handle or bumped it up but either way I'll avoid pulling the handle in case that's where the lock out switch lies.

Also: Talked to Andy at FLT just a few minutes ago and he suggested I drop the pan and double check for any shavings and what not. Will do that today. He also said there is no mechanical lockout in the tranny itself, there is something in there that is meant to take a certain amount of abuse, some solenoid I think he said, not sure I remember correctly what it was he said. So I'll pull it here today and report back. It's nice to know I'm not the only person to do this!!

Dave, post up a short clip of that vid if you can, kinda wanna see what it looked like!
Old 04-26-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i threw my truck into reverse once but not long enough for the tires to lock up before i got it back in neutral. speaking of transmissions, mine went out again yesterday......
Old 04-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Where's the Beef?

Did that in my blazer once at 65 as well. The engine died and I pulled over. Started it back up and crossed my fingers. Worked fine until I dropped the v8 in it.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

theres cable adjustment on the framerail, just follow the cable, umm maybe 3 feet. Its a little round think about 1.5inches in diameter that fucked my finger all up messing with lol.

Sometimes when i park I have to shake the shifter to get my keys out. MIne wouldnt be so bad but i adjusted for the old 80, and not the new one i put in last july

Last edited by charcold-bowtie; 04-27-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: smartass lol

Quick Reply: I found out on the Fwy that I don't have Reverse Lockout