Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

I got owned bye bye rear end

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got owned bye bye rear end

So Sat i was all the way across town dropping my sister off at church and then i was going to go wash the truck. Well i only made it about 1 mile and was doing about 40 mph when boom the whole truck shook i thought i hit something and my abs and brake lights came on. There was a weird grinding sound so i pulled over and was like wtf was that. I got out looked under the truck and **** trying to see what it was. I thought it was the brakes since me and my dad replaced the pads on the back two days before. Nothing looked messed up so i got in the truck and tried moving it but it just revved up like power braking. Well i i kept messing with when all the sudden i guess it gave way and it was the worst sound i have ever heard just straight metal on metal grinding. The driveshaft would just spin and it was going clack clack clack and the truck will not move under power. It will would roll if it was in park when i pushed it though.

I'm so pissed right now since i just replaced the tranny awhile back and now this. i mean **** the truck only has 74k on it.

Pics

Here you go.

Check out the dent in the rear cover there also a crack on the outside where that groove was dug into it.

So with all that said what would you do? With a budget in mind though. I really just want it back on the road. It looks to be just the spider gears and pin but the hole that the pin goes in is hollowed out and there are a few chips that you can see in this picture below

If anybody wants Hi res pics so they can help me inspect it send me your email in a PM if want. Any help is appreciated

Last edited by blue02; 10-09-2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Wanna know something pretty cool? when i was stuck on the side of the road i wanted to be able to see what was going on under the truck when i would put it in gear. It was clanking and ****. But i was all by myself. So what i did was i got my Digital camera and put it on video mode and recorded what was happening. Pretty smart if i say so myself. Here is what i recorded. Now this is before it completly let go . After it did let go the drive shaft would just spin and grind i didn't get a video of that. You can hear in the video how it's hung up and at one point i give it some gas and it just puts more tension on it.

Here is another video this one sounds alot worse
Old 10-09-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't monkey around trying to replace broken parts in a broken carrier. I'm sure somebody on here has an old open diff or a G80 posi. Heck check e-bay. For what the parts you need cost new you should be able to come up with something used that will work real nice (think posi).

Dave
Old 10-09-2006, 04:13 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

BOOOOOOOOOM! first a transmission, now a rear end....next will be the motor?
Old 10-09-2006, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
BOOOOOOOOOM! first a transmission, now a rear end....next will be the motor?
Atleast the motor is covered until 100k I think it will just have to go out at 99k lol I'm pissed damnit
Old 10-09-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ouch... I have a set of spider gears and lock pin left over from my Powertrax install, but no spare carrier - you need to inspect what you have and if those items are of any help let me know and I'll part with them CHEAP (like shipping and a couple buck for a beer), just PM me, they are only taking up room in my attic, if you would like a pic of what I have let me know.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

See that the thing i don't know what i need. My knowledge about rearend is little to none. All i know is it's broken.

I feel like putting all the broken parts in a sock and beating the truck with it lol.

I think my best bet is to get a low milage pull out rearend from a junkyard since i could use new rotors and parking break anyway. Also i can do the swap. I assume i should get one with 3.73 gears while i'm at it.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:29 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

now your thinkin...this is the perfect time to upgrade!
Old 10-09-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Ive done 2 GMT rearends this year and used the same place for parts; Eaton posi carrier, gears, install kit with new Timken bearings; all good parts for just a little over $600. Didn't keep the reciept so I couldn't give you the #. I know he has ads on Ebay, you would just have to search by area. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Import Moderator

that blows... reminds me of a good story though, 2 years ago one of my buddys drained his rear diff before winter for some reason and next summer started the truck and forgot and started to drive it, he suprisingly made it about 5 or 6 miles i think before the thing just locked up outta nowhere. we pulled the cover off and it was all metled together and ****, if i remember correctly he had to buy a whole new rearend cause it was so f-ed up. lol just thought id try to cheer ya up but that really does suck though man, you probably are better off just gettin the G80 though

Quick Reply: I got owned bye bye rear end