Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

I hate my suspension, need help upgrading!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PathfinderJr
Yup, you got it. Stock shackles in back with the 4" drop leaf springs and installed the smaller bump stops as supplied from Hotchkis. And put the 2" front springs in with no issue.
How did you install the front spring, just dropped down the lower A arm, or a spring compressor. also I have heard that drop spindles suck and that lowering A arms do pretty well with the stock spring, any opinions on that?
Old 10-13-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quinnster
How did you install the front spring, just dropped down the lower A arm, or a spring compressor. also I have heard that drop spindles suck and that lowering A arms do pretty well with the stock spring, any opinions on that?
Drop spindles are by far the best way to lower your front end on a 99-06 truck.

As far as the front springs, you don't need a spring compressor. Just unbolt the upper control arm from the spindle with the lower control arm supported by a jack. Once the balljoint is "broken" from the spindle lower the jack and the coil spring will come out. I like to keep the shock in there so the spring is less likely to come out and mess you up.

I would definitely go with spindles though. Coil springs will provide a more harsh ride and DJM control arms are built quite shitty(actually it's the ball joints more than anything).
Old 10-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

well, I guess I am in the minority here. I have belltech drop springs (2 inch) in the front and belltech hanger/shackle (4 inch) in the rear with bell tech street performance drop shocks. I have a cnotch too, also I have upgraded front and rear sway bars (not hotchkis, but I can't remember the brand)... My truck handles and rides great. Weight transfer is fine, I have no isssue hooking at the track...
Old 10-13-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomHero
Any definitive reason or just personal preference?

Swapping springs to a higher rate will give a firmer ride, but they are performance springs for a reason. Plus drop springs will usually help out the wheel geometry by giving some more negative camber. If its too much, you can always adjust it out.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Any definitive reason or just personal preference?
Spindles help maintain factory ride quality(if thats what your looking for). without modification you will lose some turning raduis

Drop arms can have camber issues and bumpsteer(depending on setup)

Springs are stiffer but with a good shock can ride nice, I have a 3" belltech spring and i prefer the firm ride, the truck can actually take corners better than my camaro could
Old 10-13-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right. I knew the spindles could possibly negatively affect your turning radius, but I wasn't sure if there were any other technical reasons why they'd be superior.

I like my drop springs and haven't looked back since the install.

That's a good comparison for folks looking for the possible changes each suspension change could effect.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

For what it's worth I've got the hotchkis springs front and back along with Edelbrock IAS shocks. The front end rides/handles great. Over smooth pavement the rear rides beautifully but is just horrible, bouncy and scary over big dips, potholes, etc. I have a feeling it's the shocks and am planning to try another shock. I want something adjustable so was looking at the QA1's or Afcos.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Glenn, I didn't read this thread yet. I did get PM from u. I'll post up or PM you info. I gotta clean PM mailbox again!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

lol k sounds good.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hotchkis suspension all the way. They (used) to make springs, front and rear, for the trucks and have a sway bar kit as well. There is a guy on eBay that still sells the springs I think, otherwise you're gonna have to scour the forums all around to try and find a used set.

I also run the Edelbrock IAS shocks and they work like they say. Soft for rolling bumps, and firm for the short, small bumps. The whole inertia valve thing...

And whoever said the drop leaf springs were crap obviously wasn't talking about Hotchkis stuff, cause I've hauled plenty of stuff ...and have only bumped the new, smaller bumpstops once in back. I've never hit the front bumpstops as far as I remember. ...

Rear shocks plays a huge role in your ride quality. I rode around on the stock shocks with my 2/4 drop and yeah, it sucked ***. After putting on the Edelbrock IAS shocks, I've had no issues.

...Yup, you got it. Stock shackles in back with the 4" drop leaf springs and installed the smaller bump stops as supplied from Hotchkis. And put the 2" front springs in with no issue.
It's cool u like your drop springs & haven't looked back. Suspension is like exhaust, tolerance varies w/. user.

That's a huge matter of opinion. Having owned Hotchkis 4" drop springs without a notch it sucked plain and simple. I hate it and it rode horribly. ...

The best ride I have had on a lowered truck has been a flip kit in the rear.
Flip kit/ nice ride.

As far as the front springs, you don't need a spring compressor. Just unbolt the upper control arm from the spindle with the lower control arm supported by a jack. Once the balljoint is "broken" from the spindle lower the jack and the coil spring will come out. I like to keep the shock in there so the spring is less likely to come out and mess you up.

I would definitely go with spindles though. Coil springs will provide a more harsh ride and DJM control arms are built quite shitty(actually it's the ball joints more than anything).
Gettin my A-arm off was a nightmare. I know on 1 side, but maybe both. Hardest part of when I did my TVS. Personally I use a either a "big" chain &/ or compressor. Slowly jack down. Kinectic energy could release.

Originally Posted by MarineBlue03GMC
For what it's worth I've got the hotchkis springs front and back along with Edelbrock IAS shocks. The front end rides/handles great. Over smooth pavement the rear rides beautifully but is just horrible, bouncy and scary over big dips, potholes, etc. I have a feeling it's the shocks and am planning to try another shock. I want something adjustable so was looking at the QA1's or Afcos.
I wonder how many have RCSB w/. Hotchkis TVS & dislike ride vs. ECSB (I was thinkin longer WB would improve ride if done on a ext cab. I almost ran the Edelbrocks, but went a different route.
I've used in rear :QA1's & Belltech Street Performance & stock in w/. 4" drop. I rank in that order too. Still stock GM in front (for now).

If someone paid me cause it'd consume alot of time & $, I'd love to change shocks from: QA1-Rancho-Edelbrock- then maybe try some Afcos. Just to compare. Reality is most won't spend $1k just to experiment. Then I'd like to swap various ways to drop. Just to learn what or how various changes in components affect ride & handling. Again, I'm not gonna spend $$$ to check.

Last edited by fastnblu; 10-30-2009 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply: I hate my suspension, need help upgrading!