Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

I need help with my Vig ASAP! Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't really tell since Transmission is bolted on but I'm guessing if I use the washers for converter to flexplate spacing it will be like 1/8.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:43 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that you should be fine. Are you back to running 5.3 4l60e flexplate now with a 4l60e trans?
Old 01-29-2006, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Nope, still using the 6.0 plate. with 60e trans. So should I go with the washers between plate and verter?
Old 01-29-2006, 02:19 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by La Chochita
Nope, still using the 6.0 plate. with 60e trans. So should I go with the washers between plate and verter?
Don't know about the difference in the two flexplates but if the spacing between the flywheel and flexplate is more than 1/16-1/8" with the TC fully seated then washers are recommended. Pulling out the TC more than 1/8" will likely cause damage. Mine hasn't been tested yet but this is what I was instructed to do by Precision Industries and the tranny builder:
Attached Thumbnails I need help with my Vig ASAP! Anyone?-trans-027.jpg  
Old 01-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DrX
Don't know about the difference in the two flexplates but if the spacing between the flywheel and flexplate is more than 1/16-1/8" with the TC fully seated then washers are recommended. Pulling out the TC more than 1/8" will likely cause damage. Mine hasn't been tested yet but this is what I was instructed to do by Precision Industries and the tranny builder:
I bought the washers already but now L-Eater got me thinking about the 6.0 flywheel...........I mean, wouldn't it be the same if I space the TC bolts than if I space the flywheel, I really can't understand this at all ...I need to know if both flywheels are exactly the same.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:39 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by La Chochita
I bought the washers already but now L-Eater got me thinking about the 6.0 flywheel...........I mean, wouldn't it be the same if I space the TC bolts than if I space the flywheel, I really can't understand this at all ...I need to know if both flywheels are exactly the same.
The Vig gap seems to be there even with the stock 5.3 flexplates. I never touched my flexplate and others have reported the same gap. So I would think that there was something wrong if there was no gap to shim when the TC is fully seated on the input shaft.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:12 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I re-read this again......If you are using a flywheel for a 6 liter vehicle that came from the factory with a 4l65e (like a Denali, etc- I get the LQ 4, 6, 9 or whatever stuff all confused) then you are probably OK without the spacer I am talking about.

Here is an easy way to figure it out....If the flywheel you are using is concave, you are good to go, if it is flat in the center you need the crank spacer.

Either way you still need to verify that the crank snout is going up into the crank. Hope this helps, good luck with it.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Well I just finished the truck and used the washers on the TC bolts and I'm going for a full throttle test drive........... , I'll update later.(hope it works )
Old 01-29-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen it discussed before that Precission Industries does not make 4L60-E converters with the proper 300mm spec for Gen-III engines. They will fit fine on Gen-I and Gen-II small black chevys, but require a crank spacer when used with a Gen-III engine.

The reason the 4L80-E needs a spacer is because all the 80/85-E converters for old and new generation engines have the same bellhousing and converter dimensions. Using an old-generation 4L60-E converter with a Gen-III engine will result in the same spacing.

I can't believe the use of washers was suggested. That's dangerous and just asking for broken bolts. It's unfortunate you're stuck with this mess. I know how much hassle repeated R&R of the transmission is. The converter is not built right. That's pretty much it.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Launching!

I started the truck and holy , a fast loud cracking sound coming from underneath...I called my tranny builder and he told me some of the things that could be wrong and what do you know...............he was right, the damn black plastic dust cover that goes with the starter was crooked and the TC bolts were knocking the f@#k out of it! After that my brother and I went for some races......the camaro will have to wait .

Quick Reply: I need help with my Vig ASAP! Anyone?