Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

I Put a Cam but no torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Put a Cam but no torque converter

i droped a cam in my motor but no stall so the tuner left the torque management when he tuned my truck. he said he will remove it when i install a torque converter. theirs people out their that i konw that have a cam but no stall and their truck's are running with no hesitation. but they also have been having tranny problems should i take off the torque management and risk my tranny or wait for the stall.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go ahead and get a built transmission and put the stall in at the same time
Old 05-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

having a higher stall converter will be worse on your trans than not running tq management...
Old 05-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Baltimore Whore

The torque management being removed after the bigger verter is installed will actually be harder on the tranny vs the stock one.. Taking out the tq management is harder on the trans with or with out a diff verter. I would only take 75% of the trans management out and have all of it removed from the engine.. The only thing the stall is going to help is performance and the cam if it is a big duration cam or has a tight lsa
Old 05-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Truck Sponsor

That is not a reason to take out all the tq managment,you need a good quality built tranny in order to do that safely.Kind of crazy your tuner told you that IMO LOL
who is your tuner?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
having a higher stall converter will be worse on your trans than not running tq management...
x2. Your tuner needs to learn his stuff. You can remove 100% TM with a supercharger/turbo and a stock transmission and it will be just fine if you know how to drive properly and respect it.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just remove the torque management. I would'nt think twice about doing it.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:05 AM
formerly Stroked-DSM (11/24/2010)

sorry for being a noob, as I'm just getting into these trucks and know only a little bit, but what exactly is the TQ management? I may just know it as something else
Old 05-07-2009, 05:17 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stroked-DSM
sorry for being a noob, as I'm just getting into these trucks and know only a little bit, but what exactly is the TQ management? I may just know it as something else
It's Torque Management. The PCM pulls power from the engine at take off to reduce wear on the transmission. You remove it and you have all your power on take off, but you also reduce the life of your trans.

I'd go ahead and remove 70-80% and start saving for an FLT transmission. Try to get one before you blow your stocker. JUST IN CASE you ever have more problems later down the road.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:13 AM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Torque management will also reduce engine power during shifts, so the transmission does not see as much power while changing gears. A high stall converter has pros and cons when it comes to the life of the transmission. It will absorb more RPM change while changing gears, thus making shifts softer and easier on the trans. But it will also generate more heat, the number 1 trans killer. So always put a nice cooler on to prevent overheating. The other factor is increased torque multiplication, so the trans will see an increase in torque on launches. So it is a little bit of a gamble on a stock trans, but the biggest help is a cooler.

Chris

Quick Reply: I Put a Cam but no torque converter