Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

i snapped another output shaft today

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Speaking of that, how is yours doing
it's handled everything i've thrown at it and seems to be begging for more
Old 03-14-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by built408
Bring it to me, I'll fix it.
i would like to, only problem is i need my truck to drive again asap and dont have $1500 to spend on a transmission right now.

i think im going to buy a $250 stock trans and save up for a badass built one from you. how much for your best transmission? no vacuum regulator crap, no manual valve body or anything like that....it is still my DD
Old 03-14-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 454navyss
December 2008 i broke my stock transmission (broken output shaft) so i bought a built transmission from a local builder. well, today that transmission broke on me, it too seems like the output shaft broke. the truck will not move in any gear, will not roll backwards even in neutral and the driveshaft is stuck on the output shaft so im guessing that the splines are twisted and holding the driveshaft on. so i have now broken 2 transmissions in less than 15 months with a stock engine, bolt ons and tune only.

i guess whatever trans i buy next is going to have a billet output shaft no matter what. any suggestions on who i should have build my next one?
My older truck, a 89 c1500 has a Impala LT1 w/. only a bigger TB, CAI, headers & exh. I replaced the stock 350TBI w/. this kinda stock setup. 3 trannies: 1) stock 700r4 I'll chalk up to stock 167k unit

2)4L60E built lasted 2wks. 4 pinion planet fractured & a piece broke off & took out another part, sun gear maybe IDK (I'm not a tranny guy). It chipped betw. each shift rather aggressively.

3)60E built by same guy but w/. 5pin planet & another upgraded part. It lasted 1 wk. shy of a yr. Broke output shaft.

On this 3rd unit, when it went I was driving it hard, chipped betw. shifts, went bang. Long story short: Didn't know if it was rear or trans, but similiar to your instance. Couldn't remove d/shaft, so I had no solution but to remove caps/ straps for u-jts. A pain yes, but it finally came out. I also have a stock rear but it's bad too. I have 1/4" movement up/down, side-side, front-back. I need a rear rebuild.

That said, what is rearend condition? I'm no mechanic, but I know a little. When I break ****, I pay attn to hopefully prevent a reoccurence, but sometimes I'm left scratching my head. This 04, I hope to not make my same mistakes & I'll upgrade driveline 1st, before . These upgrades aren't glamourous, just a necessary part of the game I've come to accept. I hope it works out for you. You can look at my sig for what/ who I'm goin w/. & these upgrades I hope seal the deal to no worries.

Last edited by fastnblu; 03-14-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a question about output shafts. Are the shafts in a 700r4 the same as a 4l60e? I have had many many 700s that shift ridiculously hard and have NEVER broken a shaft....What gives? I always here of 4l60 guys braking shafts....
Old 03-14-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red Truck
i have a question about output shafts. Are the shafts in a 700r4 the same as a 4l60e? I have had many many 700s that shift ridiculously hard and have NEVER broken a shaft....What gives? I always here of 4l60 guys braking shafts....
On my latest stock 700r4 in '89 truck a friend let me borrow, it appears to be same output shaft, but we had to swap over a slip ring (for lack of a better term), & it was good to go trans-wise. I'll eventually get another trans to give that back to him & for sure, do a rear upgrade.

Both my built 60E's shifted aggressively w/. a chirp. Even under moderate gas, it'd jerk into gear the shifts were so aggressive. I won't do that again, but I do want firm shifting just not like that.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had 131000 miles on a stock trans... with probably 10,000 of those behind a 6.0 and probably 2,000 of those with a cammed 6.0.. and she finally gave up.. broke the output shaft and trashed my 4.10 richmond pinion gear.... i decided to go 4l80e and im glad i did... probably cost me 2200 bucks.. and 1000 of that was for a yank 3600 converter....
Old 03-15-2010, 01:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Both my built 60E's shifted aggressively w/. a chirp. Even under moderate gas, it'd jerk into gear the shifts were so aggressive
Probably explains why they both went kaboom... 60e's are a timebomb waiting to blow when your line pressure is turned up high enough, or you have aggressive enough servo's, to chirp between shifts.

It's cool to be able to chirp your tires when pulling past someone's driver window, but these tranny's won't last shifting that hard. Output shaft's seem to be one of the first to fail under these conditions. I would buy a stock 60e, turn the line pressure down to a reasonable level, and run it until you can put together an 80e swap. If you have a 2wd, it's not that big of a deal and should be well worth the time/money spent not having to worry about tranny failure when you decide to beat on it. I'm doing it to mine. Good luck with whichever you decide on
Old 03-15-2010, 03:29 AM
TECH Junkie

my stock trans had 141K on it and this last one had about 35k on it...the truck has 176009 on the odometer right now
Old 03-16-2010, 02:41 AM
TECH Junkie

i changed transmissions today and the one i put in it is a pile of ****. it was supposedly rebuilt but it slips into every gear and reverse is non-existant.....if i get back out to Granbury im going to beat the **** out of that West Virginia hillbilly looking mother ****** that sold it to me
Old 03-16-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lol that sucks

Quick Reply: i snapped another output shaft today