Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

i snapped another output shaft today

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that does suck.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear that, sucks man
Old 03-16-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I broke a stock output shaft and a billet output shaft in my truck. No problems since i put the 80E in it tho.

Hard shifts will kill a OS in a heartbeat. That was one of my problems.

I hooked the 4wheeler to my driveshaft and yanked it out of the transmission. When the OS breaks it binds up and binds the yoke to the housing. A good ****** with something other than your hands and it will come out. 4wheeler works pretty good
Old 03-16-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

You want the shifts to be more like a Click, from my experience. Not hard or mushy. Just want it to click into the next gear without a jerk or feels like somebody ran into the back of you.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'
Probably explains why they both went kaboom... 60e's are a timebomb waiting to blow when your line pressure is turned up high enough, or you have aggressive enough servo's, to chirp between shifts.

It's cool to be able to chirp your tires when pulling past someone's driver window, but these tranny's won't last shifting that hard. Output shaft's seem to be one of the first to fail under these conditions. I would buy a stock 60e, turn the line pressure down to a reasonable level, and run it until you can put together an 80e swap. If you have a 2wd, it's not that big of a deal and should be well worth the time/money spent not having to worry about tranny failure when you decide to beat on it. I'm doing it to mine. Good luck with whichever you decide on
AFAIK, line pressure was stock. The servos, however, definitely were not. I hear ya.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by built408
Lol that sucks
so how much for your best 4l60e?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
I hooked the 4wheeler to my driveshaft and yanked it out of the transmission. When the OS breaks it binds up and binds the yoke to the housing. A good ****** with something other than your hands and it will come out. 4wheeler works pretty good
i used a hammer and had 2 people pulling on the driveshaft at the same time
Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 454navyss
i used a hammer and had 2 people pulling on the driveshaft at the same time

I broke one of mine when it was stock, the other was billet and it broke with the turbo on the 6.0.

Servos, washer in the acc, was just too much for it. Learned my lesson bout the 60Es that way.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

it may not be the output shaft afterall, idk, im not a transmission guru. the output shaft is not broken in the tailhousing but it definitely looks bent (not twisted). i started it in park, before i pulled the trans with the driveshaft unhooked at the axle and the driveshaft was spinning in park.....definiitely not supposed to do that. idk whats wrong with it but it doesnt work and the guy that built it is on vacation
Old 03-17-2010, 01:48 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 454navyss
i changed transmissions today and the one i put in it is a pile of ****. it was supposedly rebuilt but it slips into every gear and reverse is non-existant.....if i get back out to Granbury im going to beat the **** out of that West Virginia hillbilly looking mother ****** that sold it to me
That sucks bro but the way you said it had me laughing. Did you ever go say "hello" to him?

Also, why are you so persistent with making a 60e work? Pull the trigger on a 80e. A stock 80e will last just as long if not longer than what your trying to do with a 60e.

Quick Reply: i snapped another output shaft today