Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

I think i have made up my mind one tires, going with the 18" rims and nittos

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 06:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
these are my favorite, they only list them as 18x8.5 and are way expensive. they have some resemblense to stock, i think that is why i like them.

I have those wheels on my truck and they are indeed 18 x 10, so they do make them. They are one piece forged aluminum, and you can get them either in polished or chrome.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:56 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blownZ71
I have those wheels on my truck and they are indeed 18 x 10, so they do make them. They are one piece forged aluminum, and you can get them either in polished or chrome.
thats nice to know. now i just need some cash.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:06 AM
11 Second Club

Why dont you go with a 17x10, M&H makes a 390-40-17 drag radial that is 29.5" tall, i think im gonna give them a try.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:10 PM
single digit dreamer

390 is huge. i dont think there is any way they will fit all the way around. they list them on a 12" rim. lets say you put them on a 10" rim the section width would probably be 13". and tread width of over 12" . i just looked at my truck, as long as i dont turn they might fit but they would stick out more than i would like. with a tire that was huge and filled the wheel well that wouldn't be too bad but i would rather they be flush.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Jim, are you thinking of running the same width front to back or just wider in the front? Seeing as though you don't off-road much (I assume) you could get away with having a narrower front tire. You should still have more than enough traction launching in 4hi that way I would think. Then again it might look goofy too.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:19 AM
single digit dreamer

i would like to run the same size all the way around just so i can rotate them and not worry about the diameters being diferent.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Launching!

It was my understanding that the unsprung weight of the wheel made the most impact when the weight was moved further from the wheel center making it more difficult to create inertia in the wheel.

If I remember right the stock tire height on these trucks is around 31". If your new tire has an overall diameter of 28" my assumption would be that you have movied the weight towards the center of the wheel 1.5". it should require less torque to get the wheel moving, and less braking power to get it stopped.

Summary: I don't think you will see a loss of performance with a smaller diameter wheel that moves it's weight toward the hub, unless there is a substantial difference in weight.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

there are traction gains to be had with a taller sidewall, especially on a drag radial or slick. the tire wrinkles and allows the tire to absorb the shock of the power delivery and put it to the ground in a more consistent manner than a standard tire would. usually in drag racing, as long as the gearing is right for the combination, a taller sidewall is better for traction. this is why 15" slicks and drag radials are advantagious over larger wheels.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:22 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by PairOJugs
there are traction gains to be had with a taller sidewall, especially on a drag radial or slick. the tire wrinkles and allows the tire to absorb the shock of the power delivery and put it to the ground in a more consistent manner than a standard tire would. usually in drag racing, as long as the gearing is right for the combination, a taller sidewall is better for traction. this is why 15" slicks and drag radials are advantagious over larger wheels.
i have looked hard at 15" tires and would love to run them but there is just no way to get 15" rims to fit on the truck without hanging way out of the wheel well.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

ya, i see your problem.

i love the look of the 295/305-45-18 on theses trucks, so i think you're going in a good direction... besides, 15's and steet slicks aren't any fun on the street in corners, so the nitto combo would be a better compromise for handling and traction.... just drop the pressure and you're ready to run.

Quick Reply: I think i have made up my mind one tires, going with the 18" rims and nittos