Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Is this idea crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this idea crazy?

I have hangers and shackles on the truck. The ride is terrible. I need a c notch kit but if and when I do the c nothc I was thinking of removing the overload leaf changing the helper bags to larger bags. I would have to relocate said bags to the inside frame rail and weld in some brackets.
A bracket on the inside frame rail like this one.

and then an axle bracket like the one below.

Anyone with experience know how something like an re6 or re7 would ride. Stock leaf springs would still be there.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Anyone?
Old 10-08-2011, 03:34 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have Cal-Tracs, or something to control axle-wrap? That's gonna be your first thing you'll need to overcome when you remove the overload leaf. That's how my truck has been now for a couple years, and no airbags at all. I can still haul loads, and tow trailers without any problems, but aux airbags would increase capacity(of course, goes without saying).

About those other airbags, those could carry the entire weight of your truck without the leaf springs. IMO, you'd be oversprung, and ride quality would suffer. Those bags do have a minimum recommended air pressure as far as I know. Now, if you were gonna go to a 4 link, and run those bags, that would be a badass setup.

I think you should notch your frame, remove the overload leaf, add Cal-Tracs, and keep the lighter duty aux airbags you already have for when you want to tow. It would be cheaper, easier, and it would ride nice.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

No caltracs. I only have a stock 6.0 right now so I am not sure I would need caltracs.what do you think. I would rather go with a kP 6 link but I can not spend the money and used kits hold their value really well. I am working on a notch. Should have it soon.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:01 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll likely have axle wrap issues and/or launch shudder without the overload leaf. Right now, that's what controls the axle wrap. When the pinion gear tries to climb the ring gear on acceleration, the pinion points up towards the bed of the truck. The front of the overload leaf comes against the rest of the leaf pack, just like an old-school slapper bar on an old Camaro.

If the Cal-Tracs are out of the budget right now, I'd leave the overload in there, and notch the frame. That will help some with the ride. Then get the Cal-Tracs, and remove the overload at that time. Then you're only screwing around with the u-bolts one time, instead of 2 times.