Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

If you ever pulled out a 4l60e get in here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:46 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In my Z-71, by myself it would take about 2 1/2 hours. If youre by yourself its easiest if you pull the transfer case first. I have a modified ratchet I use for that (cut off) As far as the top bolts, Ive done it with a 15mm gear wrench, and with the extensions. Personally I find the gear wrench method is easier if it isnt too tight. If it is, I like to drop the cross member so the tailhousing (transfer case in your situation) is a little lower and angles the bolts down so theyre easier to get to.

Good luck its really not too bad.

Oh and you should be able to get 2.5-3qts of fluid in the converter over a couple of days, or at least one in a few hours
Old 06-20-2010, 09:03 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I must work really slow then because it took me about 8 hours to swap the trans on mine. Mine is 4wd though so the t case is annoying. Maybe its because I started at about 7pm and didnt finish until around 3am

Last edited by Atomic; 06-20-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That doesnt sound too bad, except for yours Atomic lol.

See I can get my trans built for 450 if I pull it and bring it to him, or around 1000 if he pulls it and installs it. Im really wanting to save the 500 and do it myself, but I dont want it to take forever.

How much fluid should I try to get in the verter? If I dont get much in it before I install the trans should I just fill up the trans and it will all go where it is supposed to go after it is ran? Or should I just slowly add it till it all goes where it is supposed to, like in the verter?

Also I gorgot to ask my builder, but do I need to pull the T-case off the trans before I bring it to him for him to build?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

just start pouring oil in the converter now. Dont put that much thought into it. yes it will fill up eventually
Old 06-20-2010, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO 1 to 3 days for a first time is a reasonable expectation but then again the biggest freshwater bass I ever caught was under 8 lbs. The keeper wires roll out of the cooler line fittings, a small angled pic works great. Remember to roll the new wires into the fittings before you put the trans back in. Snap the lines back in after the trans is in place (yellow should disappear). If you end up needing washers for tolerance for your new converter then a thin magnetic stick thru the bottom inspection hole is good for holding washers until you get the converter bolts in. Remember to disconnect the battery and drain tranny and t-case as some of the first things. Generally you can pull the starter back enough without disconnecting. For me personally, I have found the easiest way to do the upper bolts is with a short wrench from the top by feel. The t-case has to be maneuvered out. Pull the adapter with the trans. after you remove the brace. I pull the breather hose after the trans has started down and put it back right before its all the way up (easier to get to). I swapped the torque bolts out for cap screws plus lock & flat washers on the shifter cable. If you don't already have them, get the manuals for your vehicle (i.e. ACDELCO). There are also a number of decent write ups out there too with a lot of good ideas and time savers. Good Luck.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

my final thoughts, do yourself a huge favor and grab 3 arp bolts for the TC bolts
Old 06-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Banned

good info in here!
Old 06-21-2010, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mud slinger
Also I gorgot to ask my builder, but do I need to pull the T-case off the trans before I bring it to him for him to build?
You will need to remove the t-case before you drop the transmission because it will hit the torsion bar crossmember.

For how long it takes to r/r the trans I've done it in about 3hrs with hand tools and on the ground.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99LsSilverado
You will need to remove the t-case before you drop the transmission because it will hit the torsion bar crossmember.

For how long it takes to r/r the trans I've done it in about 3hrs with hand tools and on the ground.
Yeah i was looking at that and was wondering what to do. It looks like you may be able to get it out all together, but im not sure.

Anyone pulled them both together without removing the torsion bar crossmember?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

I take the tcase off.. It makes it easier imo... Its not hard to get out lol its just not fun bench pressing it back in by yourself..

Quick Reply: If you ever pulled out a 4l60e get in here!