Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Improving brakes on an 04 1500 ECSB

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improving brakes on an 04 1500 ECSB

My 04 1500 ECSB stops for crap. The brake pedal is mushy, and in emergency stops it feels like I'm only pressing the pedal halfway when it's actually on the floor. Is there anyway to improve this, either by getting parts from a different truck, or something aftermarket that's not approaching $1k and is actually effective? Would a proportioning valve get me anywhere? Stainless lines? Also, I want to keep the stock 16" wheels. Am I looking for the impossible here?
Old 02-04-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best upgrade you can do for a mushy pedal in our trucks is stainless steel lines. While you're at it I would upgrade the brake fluid. Thunderracing.com has the lines for $136.99 and raceshopper.com has ATE Super Blue brake fluid for 9.95 per liter (get 2 just in case) Should cost you a whopping $160 plus or minus a few bucks.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

I notice(d) the same feeling with my 2004.

Every once in a while it'd brake awesome. Most of the time it felt like I had wooden brake pads all around.

I installed some stainles lines, and they definitely helped. For some reason, it took a little bit of driving to get a good feel to them - but it's pretty apparent after a day or so.

I occasionally still feel under-braked, and I still occasionally get a VERY good feel and bite out of the brakes. Most of the time it's just "better".

In the snow here, I find that there is more rear-bias. I can put the truck into a slide pretty easy by threshold braking it. It has to be a safety thing from the factory. (easier to control than locking the fronts). I've been considering looking into the proportioning with the factory system, but I really *REALLY* hate working with brake systems. I'll probably leave things as they are.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Veteran

I'd do two things. First is a 5-line set of stainless brake lines. Second, replace your stock pads with Hawk brake pads.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't much care working with braking systems either, especially bleeding them. But I think I'm going to have to, cause it's downright scary with a trailer. Even with electric brakes, if I set them to a setting where I can actually feel them helping vs. worse braking cause of the added weight, they lock up quicker than you can imagine and end up doing half the work for the truck.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Birdie2000
I don't much care working with braking systems either, especially bleeding them. But I think I'm going to have to, cause it's downright scary with a trailer. Even with electric brakes, if I set them to a setting where I can actually feel them helping vs. worse braking cause of the added weight, they lock up quicker than you can imagine and end up doing half the work for the truck.
You want your trailer brakes to handle half the braking load.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Way I saw it is that the trailer brakes were responsible for the trailer, and the vehicle brakes are for the vehicle, equally proportioned.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

I tow ~5,000lbs a small handfull of times a year...

What I do with my trailer brake controller is... in an empty (paved) parking lot, or my usually deserted (paved) road, early on in my towing trip - I come to a complete stop. I hold the manual lever on the controller to full-on. I let off the foot brake on the truck, and accelerate a bit. I gradually increase the voltage to the trailer brakes until they JUST lock up, and then back off a hair... My controller (a Tekonsha Prodigy) has a nice little digital readout, so I back off ~.2-.5 volts.

That will ensure that even under full-on braking, the trailer shouldn't lock up.

This is kind of a side note, but definitely related. The controller also has "boost" settings for when you initially tip into the brakes or brake lightly - which accounts for just about all braking you do when towing. This DEFINITELY provides some nice bite and feel.

I have yet to tow again since I put on the stainless lines last fall here... so the above experience is on the stock brake system. I definitely expect it to be even better this year.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Default My 2 cents

I have read posts on this site talking bad about the brakes on these trucks. My truck stops better than any truck I've ever had. I have 46,000 mi and have a 4,000 lb trailer I pull sometimes and it stops fine also I just inspected the brakes and they look like new. Just my 2 cents
Old 02-05-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Trotorx2
I have read posts on this site talking bad about the brakes on these trucks. My truck stops better than any truck I've ever had. I have 46,000 mi and have a 4,000 lb trailer I pull sometimes and it stops fine also I just inspected the brakes and they look like new. Just my 2 cents
My brakes worked grea, until I got 22's.... Then I upgraded to 14" Baer rotors and it stop better than stock now. I was looking into stainless lines awhile ago, but i just dont want to for the $$$ for them.

Quick Reply: Improving brakes on an 04 1500 ECSB