Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Improving brakes on an 04 1500 ECSB

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris99gmc
My brakes worked grea, until I got 22's.... Then I upgraded to 14" Baer rotors and it stop better than stock now. I was looking into stainless lines awhile ago, but i just dont want to for the $$$ for them.
Hmm, you'll pay how much for Baer rotors but you won't spend $136.99 for stainless steel lines?
Old 02-05-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Naked AV
Hmm, you'll pay how much for Baer rotors but you won't spend $136.99 for stainless steel lines?
From what Ive read you can gain equal stopping improvements from stainless lines as an actual break up grade.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:00 AM
13 Second Truck Club

I would start with a pad upgrade. OEM pads are not the best and you can mash all you want on a bad pad and it won't stop. After that, if you are still not happy, move up to the sst lines.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:40 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got some good pads and slotted rotors from Praise Dyno, definitely improved stopping, and still cheaper than OEM stuff. I really never had a problem with the brake feel of my truck, it is still better than any other GM I've owned, but this stuff helped it even more. I'm gonna do the ss lines one of these days, just not on the top of my list right now.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Naked AV

Ya, well I've been caught up in wasting money on a few other things to go faster, instead of stopping faster. My brakes are more than sufficient now.. but i will change the lines when I get around to it.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think that some slotted and drilled rotors will help you out since you are towing in order to dissipitate the heat some pads and the lines like everyone mentioned. But my truck stops rally good. I would not know what is diffrent on the 04 than the rest.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

You guys with good brakes - do you have disk rears?

When did they put disks on these things, '03+?

Avalanches always had them... my '02 seemed to stop very well and with nice pedal feel.

My brake fluid reservoir had an "SS" label on it. Is that just some random tag, or it is actually made different for my truck?
Old 02-09-2005, 03:02 AM
Teching In

Great topic! My 04 has 6k miles on it and the brakes have scared me more than a few times. Wondering if a simple pad swap would change things? Possibly ceramic?

I know this type of question comes up often, but will installing stainless steel lines affect the factory warranty? I ask because I seem to remember seeing GM literature saying they were not recommended on C5 vettes.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Figures... my brakes have been severely lacking these last few days...

I get like 2" of pedal travel and no bite.

In the past, if I did a few good hard panic stops that kick off the ABS, they seem to tighten up. I think my calipers/pads are not finding a good 'seating point' - the pads are sliding too far back in the calipers or something like that effect.

To be honest, I'm not sure about the factory waranty, 200K...
Old 02-09-2005, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JSmith
I'd do two things. First is a 5-line set of stainless brake lines. Second, replace your stock pads with Hawk brake pads.

This is GREAT advice.

The lines will help with pedal feel. That spongy, soft feeling will be gone. It will do nothing for braking distance.

Change to Hawk pads, and you'll get a higher temp rating, better initial bite, and less brake fade. They do however dust a bit more then stock. That is the trade-off with any performance pad though.

Quick Reply: Improving brakes on an 04 1500 ECSB