Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

installed converter, now lost 3rd and 4th

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed converter, now lost 3rd and 4th

Okay, I just installed a yank3200 stall behind my 6.0 truck ran okay, then started to slip in D and 3rd. It will only pull in 1st and 2nd if i shift manually. I installed the converter 1st, drove around the block, and got tranny hot, light came on, so i parked it up. Then installed the trans cooler and lines. But since the restart, tranny is slipping is drive, sometimes, it will grab, then other times it will let go. It will grab fine when its cold for the 1st few mins till things warm up a bit. Could it just be bad / old fluid? I have a new gasket and filter to install as well.

I know i need to tune for stall and my longtubes, but I cant even drive the truck to get it to tune. I belive I have a problem now. I am also reusing the older fluid, , and added 4qts of new fluid. But now it looks like I have tiny flakes in the tranny oil. Nothing major, but I can barely see it.

Do I need to dump the fluid, and refill with fresh fluids? Now I need my truck, I hope its not about to **** on me. All in all I drove the tranny about 20 miles if that means anything.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

i'm the farthest from an expert, but did you make sure your converter was fully seated and had the proper clearance from the flexplate?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

my mechanic who did the work is tell me change the fluids. I think he is on to something, cause its really thin. runs down the dip stick quickly. I hope I can get to drain all the fluid, and replace and it works proper. I got advance auto brand dex 6 i believe, they pulled it for me.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by devink
i'm the farthest from an expert, but did you make sure your converter was fully seated and had the proper clearance from the flexplate?
well my mechanic did the job, and he was the 1 who did the 5.3 converter when i did my motor swap too. So I think its on correctly. The fluid seems runny as on the dipstick, smells fine, but has the tiny specs I can see. But it runs down the dipstick quick.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

I did get the tranny hot, after the refill, so its probably lost its viscosity. My mechanic did say we may have to change the fluids cause it got hot. But this is almost to immediate of a thing. I hope we get its still okay, cause like I said, I went around the block, got hot, shut off within 10 mins. Installed cooler, never got hot again, but had the slipping problem. Sometimes it would grab, other it wont. Or it kick back to 2nd now. OR just keep slipping up to 3k without moving much.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your mechanic doesn't sound qualified based on what your saying. Metallic flakes is not a good sign and your fluid is not going to loose its viscosity.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

okay so the tranny got hot 1 time, and its dead??
the tiny metal flakes I can see them in the fluid, but they are very light almost not even noticeable.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is this the original 4L60e? How many abused miles did it have before you put the converter in?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Is the fluid full?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

fluid is full past the 2nd dot. Tranny prob just rolled 200. But drove absolutey perfect. Had tons of abuse from the vmax for over a year with 20s and 3.73s. Just added longtubes and this still 1 week later, now this. starting to really **** me off. The trans HOT light came on, then it said idle engine trans hot. Just payed mec 150 for the install with cooler etc.

Quick Reply: installed converter, now lost 3rd and 4th