Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

installed converter, now lost 3rd and 4th

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pump is toast, no fluid pressure is why it got so hot, and normally the upper gears fail first.
It is not normal to have flakes in the oil. And if it takes 3k to move it
That's another sign you are not getting pressure from the pump.
Its definelty not as coincidence it happened after the converter.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet
pull the pan check the fluid color, it could be the converter. either way you now need to have both checked out..

i take it you can manually shift it into any gears correct?
That is true, I can shift to any gear, 1st and 2nd feels strong. Its 3rd and D that seem to slip. I will pull the pan and get that checked tonight.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rhino79
Pump is toast, no fluid pressure is why it got so hot, and normally the upper gears fail first.
It is not normal to have flakes in the oil. And if it takes 3k to move it
That's another sign you are not getting pressure from the pump.
Its definelty not as coincidence it happened after the converter.
It doesnt take 3k to move it at all, in moves, but slips around 2k. Again sometimes it will grab and shift just fine. At 1st I didnt know if it was TQM or something of that nature. But it seems to rev, like its free reving when I say its slipping. If I let of the gas, and go in gentle, with less step, it will somewhat grab and start pulling.

I found a local GM certified tech who is doing rebuilds for 500$ and we are talking the full rebuild. He also said he will be able to clean the converter and my lines as well. He rebuilds 80e for 750$, and swaps the trans for $350
Old 01-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

what is happening is the pump is dieing and not putting out the psi required to keep the clutches from slipping.......
Old 01-22-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beingblueeyes
what is happening is the pump is dieing and not putting out the psi required to keep the clutches from slipping.......
possibly true, or the torque converter could be bad.. just guessing here, but do hope ya get it all worked out.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

well skeet i do hope it is the converter, cause Ill put the stock peice in and change fluids and filter in a heart beat. Hope its still good i mean I literally watched it all this happen in a 15 min period. I know its no hard damage. But Im going to switch out converters to be safe.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sleeperlqx
well skeet i do hope it is the converter, cause Ill put the stock peice in and change fluids and filter in a heart beat. Hope its still good i mean I literally watched it all this happen in a 15 min period. I know its no hard damage. But Im going to switch out converters to be safe.

got to thinking i had lost ( slipped ) 3/4 on my truck once but i could shift through all 4 gears manually put in auto 3/4 wasnt happening come to find out the shift selinoid was bad

just something else you might wanna look into, also draining the fluid will pretty much tell the tale
Old 01-23-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Since you are going to drop the tranny anyways...you might want to take a look at your pump.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Suddog
Since you are going to drop the tranny anyways...you might want to take a look at your pump.
thats the logic im using now. The GM tech is going to look and tear the trans down for free. He told me bring the converter with it cause he maybe to clean it out, and Im going to bring the stock stall along as well. That way if its the pump like he said it may have took it out. Then he can just replace the pump, and get me going on my way. The mechanic who did the stall install is doing all the removal and install of the trans again for me, so i get the truck running again. He said he would have never used a use piece. Which is true, but he says I maybe okay with the pump. Fluid is not burnt, but dirty.

The mechanic also verified the trans pump is not pumping when we disconnect the cooler. Its is very slightly pumping. His theory was to reinstall the old converter, blow the lines and cooler out, change the filter and gasket, and add new fluids. Cause he said it may pump after we blow the lines out and change the filter. He said he would try that 1st.

The GM tech is going to look at it for free, so we will know for sure tomorrow night. Cause it made better sense to do that. So this mechanic is pulling the trans and the converter tonight.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

thats the logic im using now. The GM tech is going to look and tear the trans down for free. He told me bring the converter with it cause he maybe to clean it out, and Im going to bring the stock stall along as well. That way if its the pump like he said it may have took it out. Then he can just replace the pump, and get me going on my way. The mechanic who did the stall install is doing all the removal and install of the trans again for me, so i get the truck running again. He said he would have never used a use piece. Which is true, but he says I maybe okay with the pump. Fluid is not burnt, but dirty.

The mechanic also verified the trans pump is not pumping when we disconnect the cooler. Its is very slightly pumping. His theory was to reinstall the old converter, blow the lines and cooler out, change the filter and gasket, and add new fluids. Cause he said it may pump after we blow the lines out and change the filter. He said he would try that 1st.

The GM tech is going to look at it for free, so we will know for sure tomorrow night. Cause it made better sense to do that. So this mechanic is pulling the trans and the converter tonight.

sleeper if hes that far into it then change the pump all signs are pointing to it. i mean do as you please but with hardly no fluid coming out of the tranny lines you can pretty much bet its toast and the clutches in the trans are toast cause of the high heat..

Quick Reply: installed converter, now lost 3rd and 4th