Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

installed converter, now lost 3rd and 4th

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well we drained the tranny oil. Its black with has slight silver to it, just the slightest color. The oil looked like dieseil fuel. My mechanic also pulled the tranny, and lifted it unto my work van. He pulled the tranny 1hr 20mins. So I have the tranny and the converter for the GM tech to look at. I will be going to the dealership afterhours tommorow. Im pretty much going to build the tranny as its only 500$ and its out of the truck at this point. So Im thinking, shiftkit, corvette servo, red clutches, and call it good, with the new pump and other parts he would include in a full rebuild.

At this point not sure, if I should reuse that stall after the tech looks at it, or just use the stock stall, or order a circle d... Still undecided, but I will see what he has to say. May go there tonight as its already on the truck.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

okay, gm tech tore the tranny apart in 15 mins, showed me what was what. Tranny is trashed and will need a full rebuild. 3-4 clutches are toast. The pump survived, but it was the converter that killed the tranny. Had tons of debris in the pump and the pan was horrible with metal shavings. So he is going to do a full rebuild on the tranny. Im upgrading to the red alto clutches as well. We decided to go with the Vette servro in it as well. The tech told me this would be the best route to get my truck going again, and have a full rebuilt, and a bit tougher with the better clutches and servo. He wanted me to upgrade to the 4planetory to a 5, and he could turn my 60e into a 70e. But thats a extra 250$ that cant fit the budget.

Now I got to contact Yank and see how quick they can get me my converter back after a cut and clean. I would like them to recheck the stall as well. This route should be cheaper than a new stall, and it will pretty much be a new stall afterwards.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:12 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

That sucks man. Did you buy the converter new or used?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

it was used, and I should have had it shipped off and get it cut or clean. now I maybe forced to sell it to pay for the tranny repairs.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:52 PM
I have a gauge for that

Did the guy you bought it from mention that it came from a broken trans?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

he did mention his tranny blew up, but the converter was in good shape. But i should have still be more cautious and had it cut and clean. Never again will I use anything used on a tranny again. Im thinking about throwing the stock stall back in the rebuilt unit. As it maybe my only option right now to keep the budget alive.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 PM
I have a gauge for that

How did he know the converter was in good shape? Most of the time you cant tell a converter is trashed by the outside shell. No way I would run a converter from a TRASHED transmission without having it at least looked at. There is nothing wrong with a used converter, as long as it was taken from a working trans.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Atomic
There is nothing wrong with a used converter, as long as it was taken from a working trans.
this.

But it sucks because you have to trust the seller.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

I cant blame the seller, he said he would get it cut and clean, but then he also said it should be alright. Take that with a grain of salt is what I should have done. Now in the long run, lesson learned. Im going to have to get it cut and clean. After it took my trans out.

My mechanic is telling me to not even attempt to use the stock 5.3 converter with 200k even though it worked fine before. So he is saying I need a new converter with the new tranny. That being known now. Im thinking instead of spending 400$ on a circle D. Wont I be better off sending Yank the 200$ to have the converter CUT & CLEANED? From my understanding the converter should be new after that. Then I can reuse with the new trans?

Getting ready to call Yank now.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:00 PM
I have a gauge for that

After a cut and clean it should be good as new.

Quick Reply: installed converter, now lost 3rd and 4th