Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

installing bt 2-4 drop ?s

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing bt 2-4 drop ?s

Did some searching and nothin really turned up... Need some tips and advice on installing a belltech 2-4 drop.

What tools are needed? Here is what ive come up with

Spring compressor, Chain, Jacks, Jackstands for the front.
Air chisel, punch, and drill for the rear.

Will i have to separate any balljoints? Dont really want to do that but will i have to for front coils? Any other supplies you guys think ill need?
I have the springs, shocks, and hangers. Also any techniques work best for some piople?

Thanks,
Derek

Last edited by virgils4.85spd; 09-18-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the front, you shouldn't need the spring compressor. Raise the front of the truck off the ground and place on jackstands, and pull the wheels. Then raise the floor jack to the lca and just barely put pressure on it. Unbolt the lca at the back on the frame and the sway bar endlinks. As a safty precaution, you can put a chain on the spring and wrap it to the lca so it doesn't come flying out at you should something go wrong. SLOWLY lower the jack. As the lca comes down, the spring should then fall out.

For the rear, from what I have read, start off the same by raising the truck and putting it on stands. Support the rear end with the floor jack and loosen the hanger bolts. The hanger bolt on the drivers side will either need cut out, or you will have to slide the gas tank over some to get the bolt out, but the passenger side will come right out. You may have to jack the rear end up a little, or let it down some to get the bolts to come out easy. Then as I am sure you have read, have at it on the rivets holding the hangers on. Then bolt the leafs back up to the hangers and move on to the shackles, leaving the jack under the rear. Unbolt the shackle from the frame, and loosen the top bolt, lower or raise the jack slightly to get the bottom bolt out, and then jack the rear end up enough so the top bolt on the shackle will come out between the frame and the bed.

Tool wise, you should need a jack, minimum of 2 stands (4 if you want to put the whole truck up in the air at once), basic tools (sockets, wrenches, etc), air tools are nice to help break loose the parts but hand tools will work, and a chisel, cutoff wheel, and/or a drill with bits for the rivets on the back.

That should be it, best I can think of at the moment. Anyone thats sees anything wrong with the above, please correct it.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm pretty much with him except that I unbolt the spindle at the bottom and take it out that way.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

also when you put jackstands under the rear end if it sits too high the leafsprings still hold a lot of pressure and when you unbolt them look out. I had the driver back side leaf slam so hard into the bed it put a dent. plus you cant get them out. and also the front bolt for the drivers side leaf spring does require you loosen and drop the gas tank in order to make space to remove the bolt
Old 09-19-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick99Chevy
I'm pretty much with him except that I unbolt the spindle at the bottom and take it out that way.
Most people do it this way, but I assumed he didn't want to seperate any balljoints since he was asking if he would have to or not.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i thought i was the only one who did this exact same thing. and to my brand new ss. big fricken dent right in the bed.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Balljoints

so i DONT have to separate any balljoints for the front coils? I really dont want to have to do that.
Derek
Old 09-19-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by virgils4.85spd
so i DONT have to separate any balljoints for the front coils? I really dont want to have to do that.
Derek
No, not if you take it out the rear like he said. The bottom balljoint isn't hard to separate, it's the top one that's a bitch.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I unbolted the rear lower control arm and lowered it. worked great.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by terravast4
and also the front bolt for the drivers side leaf spring does require you loosen and drop the gas tank in order to make space to remove the bolt
You can get around dropping the tank if you just cut off the end of the bolt right where the threads stop. Worked fine for me, alot less work too.

Quick Reply: installing bt 2-4 drop ?s