Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

installing lowering kit question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing lowering kit question

Well, I'm going to be installing my 2/4 drop kit this weekend. It includes spindles, shackles and hangers. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to put on the spindles? I helped my bro put his spindles on his 96 sierra, and we had a hell of a time trying to keep the spring in location when trying to bolt the spindle in place. Any tips/suggestions on installing the spindles or any other part of the lowering kit?

Thanks
Old 12-31-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume this is on a 99+ If so this is an easy swap. I started out with the tie rod. Loosen the nut and leave it on the tie rod to protect the threads. A couple light taps and it should pop right out.

Loosen the upper ball joint, do not remove the nut just back it off a few turns and pop spindle with a hammer. I suggest a mini sledge. Mine broke loose in 2-3 hits. Now make sure you hit the old spindle and not the control arm.

then put a floor jack under the lower control arm and take the tension off the springs, after contact with control arm a couple pumps of the jack should do it. remove the upper ball joint nut and push the ball joint out of the spindle. Now the lower ball joint is reversed of what the 96 model had.

Once the spindle is clear of the upper control arm remove the nut on the lower ball joint and smack the spindle straight down from the top where the brake line bracket was. this may take a few more hits. it was around 8 hits for me and it popped right loose.

remove the spindle and take out the hub assembly and install it on the new one. put it all back together and tighten it up. Lube the ball joints and tie rod. done