Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

installing servo and tb converter soon.. do i need a shift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing servo and tb converter soon.. do i need a shift kit?

i have a superchips programmer, i've talked to the people at transgo and they say their shift kit requires computer modification to work right. they say you have to remove the torque management. does my tuner do that? transgo wasn't sure if superchips did. also, which kit is reccommended. i'll be doing it myself, i know a decent amount, but not tons. i did a b&m in my 93 silverado, as well as a billet 2/4 servo. worked well. any suggestions and info guys?
Old 01-30-2005, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Go to www.superior-transmission.com and check out their shift kits. That is what I have in my 2002 GMC Sierra and you will not have to do anything to the computer. Mine shifts very firm, but you can set it up to your liking, I wanted mine to leave no doubt that it shifted. Click on the distributor button to find someone in your area or contact them direct. But after you install your kit, you will find that you want it all, getting rid of torque management is a plus. I have HP Tuners and it was easy to eliminate torque management, but in your scanner check and see if it gives you the option of having a shift kit in the transmission section. If it does you would answer yes for shift kit and it will not override the shiftkit. Hope this helps some and good luck.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

superior is also my preferred brand. there are a few people out there running them with great success. with any converter replacement you're going to want to add a shift kit as well as remove torque management.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I called Superchips about TM removal. The tech I spoke with said it was suppose to remove TM. What percent I don't know. Give them a call and ask about it (its an 1-800 number). And they do do custom tunes for other changes. However, if you do not have a modem dealer near by, you have to send your unit to them and wait for it to come back. Which could really cause some down time. Not to mention the cost of the custom tune (ask them when you call).
Old 01-31-2005, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

I don't think you really need a shiftkit unless your running big time horsepower. If you leave most of the torque management on you should'nt put too much stress on the tranny. Now with a shift kit you can eliminate the TM and get some really serious shifts, but I don;t think it's an absolute necessity.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dragonman0325
I don't think you really need a shiftkit unless your running big time horsepower. If you leave most of the torque management on you should'nt put too much stress on the tranny. Now with a shift kit you can eliminate the TM and get some really serious shifts, but I don;t think it's an absolute necessity.
While your in there it makes sense to put the kit in since
1 its cheap
2 extends the life of your tranny
3 makes you go faster
4 provides **** eatin grins when the wheels break on the 1 to 2
5 from what I can gather you dont need to worry about the 60e unless your
running FI or nitrous but Im no expert
Old 02-01-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

no shift kit or servos in mine.

it runs ok with the HPP3 firm shifts set
Old 02-01-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you don't need a shift kit, but in the same matter you don't need a stall. it's all in how much gain you're looking for. to get the most out of your converter you're much better off with a shift kit to firm things back up and a tune to take advantage of the stall fully. nothing like torque management pulling power away at the times your stall should be helping you most.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

I just put a corvette servo in my truck. At WOT will bark tires shifting from 1-2
Using HPTuner to firm up shifts also. Don't think I need a S/K
Old 02-05-2005, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

I recently put a transgo shift kit, servo, and yank 2600 stall in my truck. After I installed the turbo it was apparent that it really needed a shift kit. The shifts were taking too long and sometimes it would just hang there for a second and then shift out.
After the install, even with some TM left in, it shifted nice and quick.

I had Allen Nelson leave the line pressure a little higher, as I set up my kit a little soft. On the seperator plate, I just drilled the 1-2 shift to the first size hole, and left all the washers(spacers) out of the 2nd accumulator. Of course the stall makes it a little softer too. Drives great, barely notice the shift kit until above 1/2 throttle. Blows the tires off on the 1-2 shift at wot under boost.

Quick Reply: installing servo and tb converter soon.. do i need a shift kit?