Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Joe Gibbs Rear Differential

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Joe Gibbs Rear Differential

What is up with my truck. I have a 2004 Joe Gibbs Silverado (RCSB) and I just blew out the second set of spider gears in the rear. First things first, why did they put an open differential in this truck or is this just a blem on their part. The first time this happened, my clutch disc exploded and left me with a clutch to be replaced and a new set of spider gears installed. I got a clutch from SPEC. I had the spider gears fixed under warranty because I only had 25,000 miles on the truck and that suited me just fine with a thin wallet anyway. All of this happened in Nov. of 2006. I put the clutch in the truck myself not really taking time to look at the craftsmanship of the clutch. The pressure plate was supposed to be a high clamp version and the disc design was a 6 puck kevlar disc, more than enough to supply my future power demands, I thought. Well one year later in Nov 2007, it alll happened again minus the clutch disc breaking. I pulled the clutch and observed that the pressure plate had a LUK stamping on it along with the fingers on the pressure plate. So basically I had a $100 clutch disc with a Blue painted pressure plate and a SPEC sticker on it for around $400. I could go on forever about dealing with SPEC about this. So back to the first question, Why did they put an open differential in this truck. Any advice on which differential to choose and how to go about fixing this issue for good would be great.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Launching!

TruTrac or Eaton
Old 01-02-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

You will be happy with either a truetrac or an eaton like said.
Are you sure it isn't a Gov-lock locking differential (G80) they are prone to exploding with heavy clutch drops, doughnuts etc... Look at the code list in your glove box and if it has a G80 code then that is what it is. The G80 has spider gears with a mechanical leaver that locks both axles together with a certain differential in speed from one side to the other. They are great for light 4 wheeling and pulling boats out of the water but suck for performance.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

I had a tru-trac, and eaton, and an auburn. I liked the auburn the best, it seemed to work the best and it never broke.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Teching In

My G80 came apart and really tore up stuff. Whole rearend and trans pulled eng. trans and rear to install 6.0,4L80,and Auburn Pro gear. I would go w the Auburn Ive run one before and have had very good luck!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Default Thanx

I appreciate the advice. My buddy runs a speed shop and he also suggested the auburn posi unit. He said he runs that in his lightning and has'nt had a bit of trouble. Any suggestions for me as far as going from a 3.73 to a 4.10 ratio? I am all about second opinions.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

ive gotten an auborn and motive 4.10's...only problem ive had is stripping the teeth off my pinion..also just a reminder with the auborn when you go to change fluid put 3 bottles of the gm differential additives in..if you dont it will chatter really bad and sound like your rear end is coming apart