Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

junk g80 locker cause 3500$

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default junk g80 locker cause 3500$

couple weeks ago my rear end locked up, (g80 locker grenaded ) so i installed a trutrac and g2 3.73 ring and pinion (stock ratio) ,got it all put back together and what do ya know i have no reverse and my trans shift like ****,,,,

well ordered a performabuilt lvl2
and i also bought a yank tt2600 off my friend and is now re-stalled to a tt3000 got them all installed today

its extraordinary how my truck drives, so amazing!

i am still running my stock pcm but my blackbear tuned pcm is going in tomorrow.
cant wait to see how that changes things!

thanks, justin, frank and to the people at yank!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

I have been in your exact shoes man lol, I know how that feels... Nice to have a new trans though.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats why we suggest starting with a good differiental from the get go. From there do transmission.
Now that you got two of the biggest weak spots handled, whats next ??
Old 09-12-2012, 01:51 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

everyone (including me) always starts with more power but very few do it the right way and start with the tranny and rear-end.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:20 AM
TECH Resident

Dang! Now you have me scared to throw my Hoosiers on lol. I have the stock G80 in the back with a Yank 3600 and around 400-420rwhp and I just got done grinding my calipers to put my 15's on for a friendly grudge race Friday night. I was thinking the worst I would do is peg-leg it. Now you have me wanting to just run on my 20" street tires. I'd HATE to destroy this new LVL 4 65e and Yank.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:24 PM

my truck motor is actually stock (for now ) once winter comes im hoping to do an engine swap ls1,2 ,lq4/9maybe ? but honestly if a stock motor made this happen you be the judge 93,xxx miles on it. if i ever get another truck im instantly puttin a trutrac in it so i dont have to worry about it, i mean for 400$ and some change it is well worth it just to possibly save you money in the long run and my performabuilt trans and yank stall i was well worth what i paid my combination i have really woke my truck up greatly
Old 09-12-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerj5.3
my truck motor is actually stock (for now ) once winter comes im hoping to do an engine swap ls1,2 ,lq4/9maybe ? but honestly if a stock motor made this happen you be the judge 93,xxx miles on it. if i ever get another truck im instantly puttin a trutrac in it so i dont have to worry about it, i mean for 400$ and some change it is well worth it just to possibly save you money in the long run and my performabuilt trans and yank stall i was well worth what i paid my combination i have really woke my truck up greatly
Yep.. Thats what i did and i havent broke anything but transmissions..
Old 09-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tylerj5.3
oops was signed into my old account when i posted that my friend uses that one now
Old 09-12-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Thats why we suggest starting with a good differiental from the get go. From there do transmission.
Now that you got two of the biggest weak spots handled, whats next ??
I did tranny 1st. The rear, I just haven't brought myself to changin rearend. Even tho I have Trutrac & install kit. I kinda like my 3.42s. But I keep thinkin, man what would this be like w/. some 3.73s. And then I wonder on 4.10s. I hate to kill my MPGs, as I mostly do a city or a city / mix, almost no hwy. So, I'm a little chicken, cause gears are $200, but if I do it add in install kit ($100)which I have yes, $250 labor. But if for some reason I'm unhappy & it takes MPGs down too much, now I gotta pay for labor, again! So then, another $250 labor (ea. time that cover comes off, that's the cost) & another install kit($100). So it'd potentially be $350 extraif unhappy. Ya, flipside is, performance, I know I'll like it. I wish I could get a ride in same style RCSB w/. 3.73s to compare to mine when it was stock to see how swift the pickup is just w/. 3.73s. But it's been so long since stock, would I even tell what should be.

I too have done the stock hi mileage rear takes out tranny in my '89 C1500 after I swapped from a 305TBI to a modded Impala SS LT1. It took out my hi mileage stock 700R4, then a built 60E (lasted 2wks.), then another built 60E by same builder (who had em in 9 sec F-bodies) just shy of a yr. By 1 wk.!!!
Wouldn't warranty it, said it was a hard part & that didn't qualify (output shaft snapped in 2, wedged in case & everything inside could be compromised). Never went back to that builder, but it may've not entirely been his fault. The rearend had 1/4" of movement frt & back side-side & up & down.

So ya, on a rear takin out a tranny, or 3 (2 built ones), been there done that. 3 trannies & a rear inside a year. Maybe a record. Unless it's u or Ben (silver-mod-o).

Originally Posted by Spoolin

everyone (including me) always starts with more power but very few do it the right way and start with the tranny and rear-end.
I didn't. Upgrade weak point(s), then apply power. Tranny 1st, blower after. But man was it tough waiting to budget to get tranny & stall while my Radix kept staring at me, wanting to go on.

But ahh, finally. They co-exist.

Originally Posted by DTHPROOF
Dang! Now you have me scared to throw my Hoosiers on lol. I have the stock G80 in the back with a Yank 3600 and around 400-420rwhp and I just got done grinding my calipers to put my 15's on for a friendly grudge race Friday night. I was thinking the worst I would do is peg-leg it. Now you have me wanting to just run on my 20" street tires. I'd HATE to destroy this new LVL 4 65e and Yank.
I know. Here I was thinkin of some slicks. Now this post has me worried. Cause slicks will expose (or could) a G80. At least if it doesn't hook usin street tires, it'll slip to extend its'(the G80's) life.

Last edited by fastnblu; 09-12-2012 at 07:44 PM.