Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Just noticed a slight vibration...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 09:01 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just noticed a slight vibration...

...it's very suttle, and only happens when slowing down to stop around 15-20mph-ish with the brakes applied. It doesn't feel like a brake pulsation, as it doesn't happen at high speed braking and I don't feel it in the brake pedal. I can feel it in the steering wheel...as I mentioned, it doesn't vibrate violently or very pronounced, it's more subtle and has a high frequency (as in the vibrations are close together, kinda like driving over rumble strips, but not as severe). It happens for a second or two then goes away when I hit about 10 mph. It might even be engine vibration transmitting into the cabin since the right side header is very close to the frame and I'm sure makes occasional contact, I'm not sure, I just noticed it the other day and thought about it now and figured I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has any ideas. Doesn't seem to be a big deal, just kinda curious about it now...any ideas?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my header on the pass side his when i decelerate and turn left into my subdivision

that always drives me nutz
Old 04-06-2007, 11:34 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

I paid closer attention to it on my way in to work today, and realized that it happens more around 30mph down to 20 mph (according to my speedo), then goes away...
Old 04-06-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Bud,

Does it happen all the time at like 20 or 30 MPH? Or is it just as you are decelerating?

I'm wondering maybe about the static balance in your front tire too....
Old 04-06-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check Your Rotors For Runout....
Old 04-06-2007, 10:00 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
Bud,

Does it happen all the time at like 20 or 30 MPH? Or is it just as you are decelerating?

I'm wondering maybe about the static balance in your front tire too....
Seems to be consistent when decelerating from 30 to 20 with the brakes applied, then it goes away

Originally Posted by CHEVRACER83
Check Your Rotors For Runout....
That was my first thought, but as I mentioned, it only happens at 30 to 20 mph, then goes away. High speed braking is fine, and it doesn't change intensity as the rotors heat up. Still, if I get the chance, I'll take out my dial indicator and give it a shot.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

BUd,

It sounds to me like you got some brake chatter in the pads and possibly the rotors too! I talked to 2 of my Techs, and they've both told me to check the pads for chamber and feel the rotor for any high spots. You can probably get this out with turning the rotors and maybe just Emory clothing the pad surface.

What brand of pad and rotor are you running anyway? I ask this because I am having problems with the EBC pads coming in my shop.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:14 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
BUd,

It sounds to me like you got some brake chatter in the pads and possibly the rotors too! I talked to 2 of my Techs, and they've both told me to check the pads for chamber and feel the rotor for any high spots. You can probably get this out with turning the rotors and maybe just Emory clothing the pad surface.

What brand of pad and rotor are you running anyway? I ask this because I am having problems with the EBC pads coming in my shop.
I'm using Praise Dyno pads and rotors...
Old 04-09-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I'm using Praise Dyno pads and rotors...

Bud, I'd Emory cloth the pad surface real quick and see if it helps. If not, then I'd have a local shop turn the rotors and that should chill it out a bit.

Worst case, you may have some just plain ol' bad rotors. I see it alot here. I've had the best luck with the SD55054R (RH) & SD55054L (LH) from CarQuest. They are a Powersrtop drilled and vented rotor.

I got em on mine and they were only like $65.00 each.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:37 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Just noticed a slight vibration...