Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Which kit for my trans?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which kit for my trans?

Hey everyone. I finally have some more money laying around, and I decided I need a shift kit! Well, I looked at transgo, and well for $130 I might as well slap in the th350 my dad built for his nova that's sitting in our shed.

When it comes to a 350/400 trans, my dad is a genious! He built with simple parts a th350 that has a 4k stall, upgraded servo, B&M stage 2 shift kit, and synthetic fluid way back in the mid 80's that is currently connected to a built 454 LS6 bb that pumps 800rwhp, 937rwft.lbs .

He told me if I get a shift kit, check out everyone, but buy nothing less than a B&M.

Now, summit racing has BMM-70365 transpak kit that is described as:
More options from your tranny.
B&M Transpak kits create new shifting characteristics by re-routing fluids through your transmission's valve body. Each kit includes two options: RV/Heavy Duty and Hi-Performance Street. RV/Heavy Duty is for towing, off-roading, or other heavy-duty use. You get firmer shifts and full manual control over downshifts, with normal automatic operation when in "drive." Hi-Performance Street gives you quicker, snappier shifts than RV/Heavy Duty, with standard shift points and automatic features when in "drive."

And BMM-70360 shift improver kit described as:
Improve shifting in a snap.
These B&M Shift Improver kits are the easiest way to get the stout performance you've always wanted out of your automatic transmission. All you need are some hand tolls and an afternoon, and you can turn your transmission into a B&M-tuned unit. Each kit has two stages to fit your needs: RV/Towing and Street/Strip.

These look very different in the picture. The price difference is about 30-40 bucks more for the transpak. It looks like itll take longer to install and will be harder, however Im ordering the JET billet power servo kit for $85 from summit and want to get the shift kit while I'm at it.

Out of you guys opinions, since I'm trying to squeeze every drop of power outta this 4.3 would it be worth it to get the transpak, or would a shift improver kit work the same? I'm thinking the transpak is going to be different, but I'm not sure. Any advice?