Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Knock knock, who's there

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
I get mixed opinions on the OEM's being stronger, but...interesting enough, if you do a forum search for broken gears on a few forums, I found that hardly any one reports broken stock gears. Stock g80's and such but not gears. This may be cuz most on these forums with HP change gears out all the time so it may be a simple deduction that there are more after market gears being subjected to HP than stock gears.
I agree with your later statement. How many people are producing enough power to break rear end gears that hasn't done a gear swap already?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

I like the quality of the OEM American Axle Mfg. ring and pinion gears. They ARE a very strong gear indeed. I mean lok at it this way, American Axle OEM gears are in 500 hp cars like the Z06 and they stand up well. I just bought the Richmond because in 10 years of being in business, I've always used Richmond in my repairs. Everyone knows that Richmond is a quality gear and it's strong. But comaparing Richmond to the AAM OEM gear, I really can;t say that I've noticed a diffrence other than the price.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:25 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know, I have the LSP and everytime I turn at a stop sign/light I chirp that inside tire alot. I know I know, but how hard is it on the ring gear if EVERYDAY driving is what i do. Clutches in the Auburn could be bad? Hmmm. Just thinking what else could be causing a short fall of gears, besides the obvious...5500lb truck doing 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
You know, I have the LSP and everytime I turn at a stop sign/light I chirp that inside tire alot. I know I know, but how hard is it on the ring gear if EVERYDAY driving is what i do. Clutches in the Auburn could be bad? Hmmm. Just thinking what else could be causing a short fall of gears, besides the obvious...5500lb truck doing 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

Hey Dewy, my Eaton LSD does the same ****! I can pull into Pizza Hut (where I live), and it's a hard right and uphill. Each time I pull in at low speeds, the ol Eaton let's out a loud verbal "POP, POP, POP"...until I straighten out my wheels....lol.

I just took the cover off mine last Saturday and checked everything out, and it all looked well. So, I figure that the overlap doesn't do anything too awful for us. But deffinately keep an eye on it.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:16 AM

sweet...sorta...i was hoping to hear it happens to other people too. That's what I have, the Eaton.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:53 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Sorry to hear this about youre truck Dewey that sucks it seems youre allways Breaking ****
Old 05-18-2007, 08:36 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine started poping aswell , but after I changed the oil and added some additive the noise went away...

Well Dew, needless to say, now I'm worried about my truck...........
Old 05-18-2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Breeze
Sorry to hear this about youre truck Dewey that sucks it seems youre allways Breaking ****

i do....no seeming, I always am.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

I've got a 9.5" 14 bolt with 4.10's. Oh, but there not for sell though. lol
Old 05-21-2007, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
I've got a 9.5" 14 bolt with 4.10's. Oh, but there not for sell though. lol
blah blah blah

Quick Reply: Knock knock, who's there