Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Knock knock, who's there

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the main caqp stud kit and it came with standard sizes. What's the metric size of the cover bolts? I'll just pick em up at fastenal.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
I bought the main caqp stud kit and it came with standard sizes. What's the metric size of the cover bolts? I'll just pick em up at fastenal.
It's something like 8mm x 1.25 or 1.5. Just carry one of your stock one's with you, just make sure you get it long enough though.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:07 AM

Well, I put it all back together, so stock bolts are in the truck right now. I was just gonna take in the new ones and just say I want this in a 8mm, if that's what it is, 8mm.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I put it all back together, so stock bolts are in the truck right now. I was just gonna take in the new ones and just say I want this in a 8mm, if that's what it is, 8mm.
Yeah the stds are real close and can actually be screwed into the metric hole but it will bugger it up.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Import Moderator

sorry to get off topic Dewey here but i plan to run an LS1 in my truck, cam/3k stall/headers/4.10s/yada yada yada... would this be worth doing for me or is it overkill?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:49 PM

i know nothing about the the whole rear support system. But the cover, from talking to quiet a few rear end shops who deal with alot of broken 8.5" rear ends, it can't hurt. when you get to the 450HP area, you have really entered the "You gotta pay if you wanna play" territory. Some of us will luck out and not experience as many probs as others. I imagine with the nitrous I am somehwere south of 600horses. 570 maybe. I know we see alot guys on here with alot of power, just they don't share the broken parts stories as much as we'd like. All the shops I talked to say the exact same thing as TurboGibbs says in post #7, it's like he called them and told them that before I talked to them. LOL

blah blah, if you are making 450+HP, and are a daily driver, I'd consider ANY thing that will make your **** last longer. Just like the shop who did my rear end says when his wife asked him how Dewey can stop breaking rear ends.
Originally Posted by Ron@TransTech
Stop trying to make a ******* tank do 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile.
He used to race rails. He still has 2.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmmm for some reason I have heard of more richmond gears breaking than any other. Maybe it just because they are such a big name tho.
I had Genuine Gear brand in my old truck and they have a lifetime warranty.

4wheelparts Part number G/GG885410

Last edited by dewmanshu; 05-24-2007 at 01:08 PM. Reason: non-sponsor linky removed
Old 05-24-2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by truckmann
Maybe it just because they are such a big name tho.
I would suspect exactly that. Same as I said earlier about OEM's having a reputation for being strong. I bet it has more to do with most people with power having already swapped the OEM's out, so you just don't hear stories of OEM's breaking.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Import Moderator

well ill def do the cover then

I would suspect exactly that. Same as I said earlier about OEM's having a reputation for being strong. I bet it has more to do with most people with power having already swapped the OEM's out, so you just don't hear stories of OEM's breaking.
ill have one for ya cause im runnin the stockers till they go then replacin em with 4.10s probably
Old 05-24-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

My OEM gear would probably still be in my truck. After all the power adders and stuff, the extra horses didn't do mine in. It was the Video Taping of my 3 minute long doughnut/burn-out in Wal-Mart parking lot, that killed my ring gear....lol

Ahhhhh...it was fun until it went "pow"

Quick Reply: Knock knock, who's there