Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Kumhos grip like glue in the rain !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 01:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kumhos grip like glue in the rain !!!

I am thoroughly impressed with my new Ecsta STX's. I've been driving all around tonight in the pouring rain, and I mean it has been absolutely POURING outside. When I had the opportunity to safely test out both the brakes and the acceleration, I was amazed to find that I could hardly get the tires to either skid or break loose. In the rain for crying out loud!

With a properly running Radix and 4.10's I've got oodles more torque right off the line, but because these Kumhos are so sticky, I've had a hard time breaking them loose on dry pavement. I certainly didn't expect to have the same issue on wet pavement. Not only am I happy with the performance of these tires, the safety factor is just an added bonus.

Now I have a new concern - my drivetrain components....
Old 03-05-2005, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea when i had some kuhmo supras on my bird they handled great in the rain, not the same tire just saying.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like TQM, rather than great tires.

the tires may be great, but not being able to break them loose...with all the mods youve done...thats TQM.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

My torque management is gone and my traction control is permanently turned off, so these are not factors. Please read again - I didn't say I couldn't turn them over (I can turn them over on dry pavement if I want to, and I have), I said that I pushed it a great deal and they still had traction, which blew my mind. They also stop on a dime, which is partially ABS, but has something to do with the tires as well. There is a point at which ABS will not even stop a 6,000 lb vehicle on wet pavement.

The fact is that these tires are fantastic, and I am simply offering this information to members looking for new rubber.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Keep in mind that I have a 4-link rear which goes a great deal toward my vehicle having traction. The coils springs I have in the back right now are pretty soft, causing my vehicle to squat at launch, seriously transferring some of that 3 tons of weight to the rear tires. This contributes to my ability to get traction at times when a leaf-sprung rear would just spin.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, I liked the ones I had on my stang. I will probably get some when I need new tires.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

gotcha.

just making a guess is all..
Old 03-05-2005, 03:41 PM
14 Second Truck Club

i was lookin at the sizes for the ecsta's and i think i might get some.. they have the 295/45 option i wanted.. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2005, 03:46 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by onyx
i was lookin at the sizes for the ecsta's and i think i might get some.. they have the 295/45 option i wanted.. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did not know Camels needed tires
Old 03-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds good Naked AV. Keep us updated on how quickly they wear. I will not put the Yokohamas back on my truck when this set wears out so I'll be looking for a better tire.

Quick Reply: Kumhos grip like glue in the rain !!!